Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Build a Mako wide from scratch #1

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

Re: Build a Mako wide from scratch #1

Postby Lonny » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:23 am

WOW Tunsten,

That is an unbelievable post! :shock: :shock: Loaded with tons of helpful information, and insights for the DIY ripper. You really outdid yourself, and this post will be referenced by tons of people as an outstanding resource regarding board building. I am honored that you took the time to post it here on LTS. Really great job.

Reading your post also confirms for me that I should never attempt this myself. :wink: I will stick to riding the boards at my basic level.

Just one suggestion, I would edit your blog post and link it this post. I have also placed a sticky on it so people can reference it quickly for some time.

Great work again.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks for the nice words Lonny! I updated the blog post. Yeah I hope people find some useful information for their own project. It's how everyone starts, reading stuff, so did I and that's why I'm happy to share. For sure any question you have, put it up here and we get it sorted. If you have tricks & licks to do things faster and better, please post it!

cheers, Tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby spewing » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Wow

Supper insparational again.

Ill read it again a couple more times to get my head round whats going on. Im still trying to get to grips with AKU shaper.

Kev
spewing
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby ice » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Tungsten,

Great post! I'm trying to get started on my own board and am having a difficult time uploading an image board. I get an error that states: "Error 187. Image not loaded. There is something wrong with your file" The image is a perfectly good .jpeg. Not sure why it would reject it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

ice

error 187.jpg
error message
error 187.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 94667 times

mako-king-large.jpg
Mako jpeg that I'm trying to use as image board.
mako-king-large.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 94667 times
ice
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:16 am

Hi ice, I was just trying your pic on my version of AKUshaper when I found out that my version of AKUshaper isn't working anymore. Some Java problem after the last update. Anyway, I'll shoot the guys a mail and come back on this one.

This week I had a couple of sessions, after a long windless time, being able to ride the Ghetto Shark with and without straps in various conditions. I'm very happy with the results. First I got it out strapless on two 20kn days with little chop. It goes upwind very well, holds a nice edge, just right, and has a nice skatey feeling once you get off the edge. Carving about, it feels exactly like a snowboard in powder, you can slide the tail by shifting the stance just a bit to the rear, or carve solid using the edge in equal stance. The board reacts a lot to shifting the stance, it takes a while to get used to this, but after half an hour I had it dialled and really enjoyed having 3 boards in one: a skim-like feeling when driving it off the back foot, a loose surf board like feeling when riding it upright with a bit more back foot than front foot, and a solid fast board smoothing out the chop when you ride it with equal stance on the edge. I still have too much fin on it, I'll have to try it smaller fins. It ollies well and pops out of the water nicely, but I feel the fins are too big for trickery, they are ideal for carving.

I also took it out with straps on a 25-40kn day, helluva gusty wind and nasty chop. Would not have been able to ride it strapless that day, I don't have that skill. Strapped it's like a fast snowboard, and it holds an amazing edge. If you stay on the edge with equal stance, you will experience knee buckling G forces in long carves. The board goes around the corner without losing speed. Super easy to control, once you get used to it reacting on stance shifts.

I'm looking forward to give it more water time on smaller fins and in flat conditions. I feel there's a lot I have not seen yet. Very happy. :D :D :D
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:14 am

Ice, my AKUshaper is up and running again. I simply pulled your pic off the website onto my desktop and could open it in AKUshaper no problem. Maybe you try the same? I'm on Mac.

If you still have problems, you may get in touch with the guys at AKUshaper (they are very nice and helped me with my Java issue withing 24 hours), or otherwise I can make you a .brd file with the Mako king outline and mail it to you.

ice wrote:Tungsten,

Great post! I'm trying to get started on my own board and am having a difficult time uploading an image board. I get an error that states: "Error 187. Image not loaded. There is something wrong with your file" The image is a perfectly good .jpeg. Not sure why it would reject it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

ice
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby ice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Thanks! I've got it straightened out as well. I rotated it from a vertical orientation to a horizontal one and then it worked. :D

Now though, I am struggling becuase when I print my slices to use as templates for the ribs, the ends are being cut off on the larger slices. At least on the smaller slices, I can fold them in half and cut out the other half, but on the larger slices I am losing both edges. Thoughts?

Thanks again!
ice
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:23 am

Let me see... A4 paper is 20x30cm, roughly. Adjust your print options so that you print cross, not upright, in order to use the whole 30cm. Or rotate the rib upright, it's the same. Then chose print options to be not centered, but aligned to one side.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Foilman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:06 am

This is a sweet thread - thanks for the info Tungsten!

I've made a couple of boards in the past using a similar technique, but with a single sheet top & bottom stretched using a formed rocker bed, bamboo stringers and injected PU foam infill.

Check my last one out on http://www.mustbemad.com

This has inspired me to try again with something a little different! I've had a play about with AKUshaper & its a very powerfull tool!

Is it too much to ask for someone to send me a copy of the .brd file for the Mako? Cheeky I know but I'd love to get it right... :wink:

Cheers

Foilman
Foilman
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:13 am

Woah foilman, this bamboo stringer idea is sweet! I've got to try this. Endo-sketeton instead of exo-skeleton, I bet you can create a lot of flex without sacrificing strength. Smart thinking.

Sure I shoot you the .brd file, what's your email? As I said earlier, the original board has rectangular sharp rails, mine are a bit tucked for more skate. You choose.

Put your project right up here so we can discuss it. Would love to.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Foilman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 am

Nice one - cheers!

The last one I made was pretty stiff - the combination of the foam infill, the 3mm ply top & base & the bamboo added up to a pretty rigid board.

That said, I made it for my son & he managed to crack the heelside rail landing a jump with one foot (only) on the rail - its repairable but water got in & never bothered... I think it needed more strength at the rails.

That said it tracked like it was on rails (partly cos of the big fins) was fast but rather unforgiving in the chop - fun though!

The trouble with bamboo is its all different diameters and its lumpy which makes it hard to use. My latest idea is a hybrid - make the slices as per this board but use bamboo stringers glued through them for the stiffening - they you get an accurate profile combined with the advantages of bamboo's strength & flex...
Foilman
Grom

Share |

Postby Foilman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Hey Tungsten

You mentioned you have the smaller Mako as well as the new 150 x 40 you've now finished.

Can you give me any objective comparison between the two sizes?

I'm a mere 70Kg (often less ?) and wonder if I might be better off with the 140 x 40? My regular ride is a TB Haura 135 x 40 which is convertable from a regualr TT to a offset stance semi directional, or an an old Airrush Sidewinder 128 mutant on blowier days...

Might the 150 x 40 be a tad big?

Cheers

Foilman
Foilman
Grom

Share |

Postby jaroskiter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 am

Hi Foilman,
You might get your answer if you post your question on the OR forum: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewforum/1/
Greetings,
Jaros
jaroskiter
Grom

Share |

Postby Foilman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:56 am

Thanks for that will give it a shot.
Foilman
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi foilman, I've got the 150x34 and the 150x40 homegrown. They are similar in feel, carvey and such, and at my weight (85kg) the wider one is more forgiving when carving with little kite pull, as it does not sink in at low board speed. The 150x34 is my high wind board when it really blows 30-40+kn. I would also suggest you ask around the Ocean Rodeo forum, where you find people who have ridden the shorter Makos. I haven't tried them yet.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

PreviousNext

Return to Build it and they will ride...