Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Here is the shape, Now I need a builder

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

Here is the shape, Now I need a builder

Postby Kitesmurf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 am

This was very close to the shape I was going for, but the builder couldn't pull it off. First it was the finish, then it didn't cure long enough, then it was too heavy, then the bottom rail wasn't tall enough, etc. etc. Any suggestions on who can build a mutant like skim for me will be appreciated.
SkimsSurf002.jpg
SkimsSurf002.jpg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 48073 times
SkimsSurf003.jpg
SkimsSurf003.jpg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 48074 times
SkimsSurf005.jpg
SkimsSurf005.jpg (143.87 KiB) Viewed 48075 times
Kitesmurf
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Here is the shape, Now I need a builder

Postby kunta » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:27 pm

What are those holes on the deck for? DRAINAGE? Just joking, have a friend in SLC with a press and will check with him. He is a kiter, rides the coast and gorge and is getting stoked on skimming. Will be riding the Hatch today and pass the info. on. Good luck on your endeavor, kunta 8)
kunta
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:52 am

Hey Droffats,

Dready and I gave you our recommendations the last time you posted, and any of these guys are definitely qualified to build you the board you are looking for. Did you try contacting any of these guys?

http://www.dcboardz.com/ - Dereck Camacho
http://www.phase5boards.com/ - Bob Smetts
http://www.roushcreations.com/ - Eric Roush
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Rolavi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 pm

I have checked on Phase five and like Roush Surftech and they have lots of different layup/contruction options. I have Roush surftech expoxy. Why would I want different material/construction like texalium/carbon? Does it really make that much of a difference.
Rolavi
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:42 am

Rolavi wrote:I have checked on Phase five and like Roush Surftech and they have lots of different layup/contruction options. I have Roush surftech expoxy. Why would I want different material/construction like texalium/carbon? Does it really make that much of a difference.

It really depends on what conditions you are going to ride in. If you are riding in a lot of chop or waves I do not recommend a carbon model because they tend to be too stiff and not offer enough flex. Also it beats the heck out of your knees absorbing the shock in your body vs. the board. If you are riding mostly flat to ultra flat water and want max speed for super pop you can go for a carbon model. However, generally I always recommend the standard epoxy versions. Its really not necessary to spend the extra dollars on a carbon model unless you really have a very particular use in mind.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kitesmurf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 am

It seems carbon skims and surfs are still in their infancy as far as development. In other applications that have been at it longer, carbon has been made to flex in very specific ways and very specific points. It is far more "tuneable" than other materails (I'm using carbon as a generic term -- there are many different fibers involved -- kevlar being a very common one -- and metals -- boron being one). Once builders get really into it, quality will improve, cost will come down, durability will be out of this world, plus it will be completely repairable, and the flex will be only where you want it. I know that seems like BS but I've seen it in other industries. Until then, I'm going to have to be happy with what I can get.

Thanks everyone for their input.

- Kitesmurf
Kitesmurf
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Yann » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:49 am

I have a carbon Roush and must say I agree with Lonny. I love the board but if I could change anything I would go for standard fiber glass or texalium. I've heard that there is just a visual difference between the two but I have no personal experience from this.

Kitesmurf, you're probably right about carbon and being able to control flex but they are not there yet. I also had my Placebo Surfskate reinforced with extra fiber glass. The shaper put 4 layers extra and made it super stiff and totally changed the characteristics of the board. I liked it way better before but it can really take a beating now.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Build it and they will ride...