Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Build - wood rib/plank copy of Cole BD3 by Aviso

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

Postby tungsten » Tue May 19, 2009 6:43 am

In another thread John was talking about the Cole BD3 5.0 trunk board. I fell in love with the design and had to put my hands on the tools. Woodwork is finished, now we're getting into glassing. A quick glimpse for you board lovers. Here's the original and the fake one for you. :D
Attachments
DSC09094.jpg
DSC09094.jpg (138.92 KiB) Viewed 63959 times
DSC09091.jpg
DSC09091.jpg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 63954 times
90f63932.jpg
90f63932.jpg (126.91 KiB) Viewed 63959 times
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 am

more
Attachments
DSC09117.jpg
DSC09117.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 63940 times
DSC09125.jpg
DSC09125.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 63938 times
DSC09130.jpg
DSC09130.jpg (114.47 KiB) Viewed 63945 times
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am

tungsten wrote:In another thread John was talking about the Cole BD3 5.0 trunk board. I fell in love with the design and had to put my hands on the tools. Woodwork is finished, now we're getting into glassing. A quick glimpse for you board lovers. Here's the original and the fake one for you. :D

Dude! That is unreal! :shock: Your building posts never cease to amaze! I am guessing you must be an engineer, master builder for your job, or you are seriously into home improvement shows :wink: . Super impressive! I agree that the shape looks very intriguing. I look forward to hearing how it worked for you in the water. Great post. Thanks for sharing your new project.

I am all bummed out cause I destoryed my favorite skim on a rail this weekend. If I had your skills I could fix it with my eyes closed. Although, I think this may have been the nail in the coffin for my baby. I will post some pics soon.... :(
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue May 19, 2009 11:57 am

Lonny, sorry to hear about your skimmy! post some pics, there's hardly a board that can't be repaired. It all depends if you want to put the time into it. Yeah, I'm looking forward to get that baby out for a ride. But first things first, right now my kids (4 and 6) are working on the art work, I promised them they could help me make the board, and so be it. I'm not an engineer btw, I just love to work with my hands, that's all. I'm a lawyer by profession :D

To rise your spirits, here's a website of a sensational board repair lady with loads of samples of stuff she put back in line. There's still hope for you skimmy.

http://www.boardlady.com/disasterpiece.htm

bottom of the page is a freak show of fixed boards
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Waggy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:45 pm

tungsten wrote:I'm not an engineer btw, I just love to work with my hands, that's all. I'm a lawyer by profession :D

Your talents are clear for all to see...i'm amazed by your board building skills! super slick, by far the very best "home build" board i've ever seen or witnessed by far... :shock: :wink:

Regards...
Last edited by Waggy on Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
A kitesurfer...allways to be enjoyed, never given up, a lifelong commitment, comes over and above your god,partner, job, pets and cuddly toys. The wind is now your god, the sea allways your friend.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue May 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks for the nice words Waggy! I'm very happy with the outcome so far. Hope I get the glassing right.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Re: Wood copy of Cole BD3 by Aviso

Postby sundogchicky » Tue May 19, 2009 10:24 pm

holy yankee workshop!!!! your insane.. insanely talented... just soooo rad. :shock: and im not at all bummed to hear you snapped your stick lonny, that means you were charging and hitting rails :wink: fun lit day today and i tackled a pelican too!! ( i help wounded seabirds get the help they need) and again
holy crap man!!! that board is just too sick, thanks for sharing.
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri May 22, 2009 11:04 am

tungsten wrote:Lonny, sorry to hear about your skimmy! post some pics, there's hardly a board that can't be repaired. It all depends if you want to put the time into it. Yeah, I'm looking forward to get that baby out for a ride. But first things first, right now my kids (4 and 6) are working on the art work, I promised them they could help me make the board, and so be it. I'm not an engineer btw, I just love to work with my hands, that's all. I'm a lawyer by profession :D

To rise your spirits, here's a website of a sensational board repair lady with loads of samples of stuff she put back in line. There's still hope for you skimmy.

http://www.boardlady.com/disasterpiece.htm

bottom of the page is a freak show of fixed boards

Thank you for the repair inspiration. Not sure whether I will try to fix it or not. I have gotten a good 4 years out of that baby. You know how it is when it is your favorite. I will post some pictures later on today. Well clearly if you ever decide on a new profession I think you might have another skill set available to you. :D

Sundogchicky, yeah, I charged it. LOL. I have a gnarly thy bruise to prove it. I will post a couple shots of my hamburger meat thy-butt. Although, I think the rail got the better of me. :D

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Wed May 27, 2009 7:15 am

DONE!!! Weighs in at 3.9kg with fins and deck pad which I'm happy with. Now I'm really really looking forward to getting it out for a ride. At the end I came in quite close to the original measurements of the BD3 5.0, I only changed the rails to slightly sharper in the back and more tucked in the middle - more grip so to speak. :D :D :D The art work is my 5yo daughter's, to answer a question I see coming. She wanted to help build the board, so I made her art director. :lol: The board looks slightly overfinned, but we come to that when it hits the water.

cheers, tungsten
Attachments
DSC09174.jpg
DSC09174.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 63680 times
DSC09171.jpg
DSC09171.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 63680 times
DSC09170.jpg
DSC09170.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 63677 times
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Wed May 27, 2009 7:18 am

the art work 8)
Attachments
DSC09162.JPG
DSC09162.JPG (177.29 KiB) Viewed 63674 times
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu May 28, 2009 10:53 am

All I can say is WHOA! :shock: :shock: Looks great, and I love your Daughter's artwork on the rice paper. Nice finishing touch. Can't wait to hear how it rides.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Build it and they will ride...