Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Skim rails and nose rocker

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

Skim rails and nose rocker

Postby Yann » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:24 am

I've outlined a pintail skimboard that I like the look of from the web, but need help with the noserocker and the rails. I've never seen a proper wave skim up close so I have no idea.

1. How high is the nose rocker if you put it flat on the floor?
2. How far back does it start?
3. What about tailrocker? Is there any or completely flat?
4. What shape are the rails? Square, 50-50, pinched? Are they the same shape all over or are they sharper in the back?

Any help is appreciated.

Yann
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Re: Skim rails and nose rocker

Postby Dready » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 am

well yann if you are really into geting and skimboard for waves and something that could be used any were any how thake a look to the eskimboards of eric roush http://www.roushcreation.com i have mine delivery to norway. and it is one of the best boards i have eric shape it for me and it was not expensive, especially desing for wave riding and i can used it to padle in as a surf board check it out also you will learn lots by checking his order forms because you can as what works better and way...

tell eric that i told you about him and about my board and he will gide you.

also joy pascualy and i we are his team riders and are helping him every time to get better shapes towards kite skimming there is a good interview with him on the kiteskimming.com you can see it in a week.
Dready
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Yann,

Todd and I have done a lot of pre-production work with a few different manufacturers of skimboards here in the US. We have a pretty good idea of what works and what does not. Since you are about my size I think these overall dimensions will work nicely for you to construct something. Sorry if you need to make centimeter conversions... We are still a bit slow here on the metric system.. :oops:

Yann wrote:I've outlined a pintail skimboard that I like the look of from the web, but need help with the noserocker and the rails. I've never seen a proper wave skim up close so I have no idea.

1. How high is the nose rocker if you put it flat on the floor?
2. How far back does it start?
3. What about tailrocker? Is there any or completely flat?
4. What shape are the rails? Square, 50-50, pinched? Are they the same shape all over or are they sharper in the back?

Any help is appreciated.

Yann

Overall dimensions should be somewhere around 54" x 20.5".

The shape I would recommend in a more wave oriented board would have about 2" 1/4" - 2- 1/2" of nose rocker. It should start at about 18" from the nose. There are several boards out there that have less nose rocker, but they do not work as well in wave conditions, and are more suited towards riding flat water. For instance my favorite flat water board has 1 - 3/4" of nose rocker, and there are some that have less. This board has a stickier feel and pearls easier on bigger than chest high waves.

Again there are some skimboards out there with no tail rocker, I prefer that the board I ride should have some tail rocker for release. I would recommend up to 3/4" of tail rocker depending on how loose you want to make the board. The more tail rocker you add does slow the board down and make it feel a lot looser when you ride it in a straight line.

As far as rails go I would build up the rails and start with them square. Many of the boards I have had have extra material on the rails and are built sharp so you can sand them to your tastes. I just finished testing a board that had very sharp square rails and the board was super fast, but hard to ride and overall it was too specialized for the average person to enjoy. The rails should have and edge to them but not be sharp enough to feel "sharp" or cut you - if you can understand what I mean. However, I do not think they should be tucked like a surfboard.

Let me know what other questions you have or what I can explain further.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Yann » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Lonny! Spot on! One last question. How far back does the tail rocker start? No worries on the metric system. When it comes to measuring boards it's still feet and inches that rule by tradition.

Dready, the boards look sick and so does the graphic on them. I'll definately have them in mind if I'm about to order a custom board. How much do you think a board would be in NOK? Do you think it would be possible to have one sent as a "gift" so you don't have to pay tax and duty?
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Build it and they will ride...