Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Obrien Alias TT

What new gear are you riding strapless? What is up and coming that we don't know about?

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Obrien Alias TT

Postby gle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:13 am

I just spent a couple of weeks in north Florida and tried out a new board. It is the O'Brien Alias TT wakesurfer. I have the 4'6" one that is about 21.4" wide. It is a strapless twin tip. It was huge amount of fun. I used it in the shore break a lot playing in the small breaking waves and white water. I also used it in the very shallow water. Everything from 4" to knee deep. I found I could edge it quite well when needed and when flattened out it was very loose and would slide and spin easily. I found it easiler that most to keep my feet on the board in the waves and changing direction, not sure why that is. There are 4 x 1" fins, 2 on each end but they do not seen to catch all when you flatten the board out to spin or slide it. The board was a bit heavy in my hands but this was not noticeable while on the water. It was a lot of fun and I can see me using it a lot in future and the best part is that they are relatively inexpensive and quite durable. Something to keep in mind is my skill level strapless is not that high and I seem to have fun on every board I try.
gle
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: O'brien Alias TT

Postby Lonny » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:25 am

Sounds like a lot of fun to ride. Thanks for sharing that info. Do you have a picture of it? Sounds to me like your under-rating your strapless skills. :o It takes skill just to be on a board like that in those conditions.
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby gle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Lonny, I have put a picture of the board beside the Nobile skim to give some perspective. There is also one that is 6 inches longer and about an inch wider for larger people. For me at 180 pounds I like the smaller one, although I am sure the bigger one would get going a little earlier. The rocker is pretty flat on both models. I will be interested to see which gets going earlier the Nobile or the Alias TT. I have not tried them both in the same conditions for comparison. I did like the fact that the Alias TT spins easier and feels the same going in either direction.
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (48.23 KiB) Viewed 53623 times
gle
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 pm

gle wrote:Lonny, I have put a picture of the board beside the Nobile skim to give some perspective. There is also one that is 6 inches longer and about an inch wider for larger people. For me at 180 pounds I like the smaller one, although I am sure the bigger one would get going a little earlier. The rocker is pretty flat on both models. I will be interested to see which gets going earlier the Nobile or the Alias TT. I have not tried them both in the same conditions for comparison. I did like the fact that the Alias TT spins easier and feels the same going in either direction.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting looking board. I am very curious to hear your feedback on the comparisons of the boards. Although, I think the right weight is really critical and can make a big difference in performance.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby krazykatie » Thu May 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Has anyone else checked this board out? It caught my eye today and i'm seriously thinking of grabbing it for my first strapless....?
krazykatie
Grom

Share |

Postby gle » Sun May 16, 2010 9:52 pm

I know that you were asking for other opinions but since no one else has answered I thought I would add a little more since I have used it more since I posted last year. I still like it but do not use it as much any longer. Nothing worong with it I just use other boards more now. I tend to prefer directional boards more.The only weakness I have found is that the board does not go up wind as well as my others. Having said that there is no problem staying up wind on the board it just gets there a little slower. It is also quite loose when not on edge. On the plus side for learning it is quite happy going slow and is still the easiest board that i have for keeping my feet attached to it in rough water. It is fun for sliding transitions. I hope this has helped.
gle
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby krazykatie » Fri May 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks for the response; i appreciate it! Gives me more to think about... Do you have any other suggestions for a beginner board but i don't really want something i'm going to grow out of. I have wake surfed in the past..before i got into kiting. Also, I was attracted to the alias because its a twin but maybe that takes some of the fun out of riding stapless...
krazykatie
Grom

Share |

Postby pebbles » Sun May 23, 2010 6:15 am

Check my review of Rousch Creations Megaloaf.
pebbles
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Underground