Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

strapless raceboard

What new gear are you riding strapless? What is up and coming that we don't know about?

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

strapless raceboard

Postby sflinux » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I did a quick search for raceboards and didn't see any topics. It's not quite a surfboard, so I put it in this section. I'm not sure where raceboards started, but I know S.F. riders have been making their own before kite manufacturers added them to their line up. I picked up a used custom one, made to the specs of what Chip Wasson was riding at the time. I'm not sure off the year, but I would guess circa 2008. I've always wanted to try one, and the price was too good to pass up. Chip Wasson was the first to introduce kitesurfing to the S.F. Bay Area and is one of those riders that is always a joy to watch ride. I was out last month on a 9M and a SUP riding unhooked. Chip comes up from another downwind spot on his 13M and a raceboard and runs circles around me, making me look like I was standing still. :)
The raceboard came with foot straps. I haven't ridden a board with straps for years thanks to this forum. This was my first time on a race board, which had one strap in the front and two straps adjacent and parallel in the rear. I tried riding the board but got schooled. Once I got used to riding the fins (instead of the rail), I could feel my back leg scream, begging me to move it. I then rode with my rear foot in front of the rear straps and my riding improved, but I would still get bucked off the board by rogue chop. I threw in the towel and came in to remove the straps. When I went back out, this time the board rode smooth, stable, and fast and was a lot of fun. I will not be putting the straps back on this board! For light winds on 8M kites, I've used longboards and SUPs, but raceboards work just as well and are a lot of fun. Alaias are super fun too.
Thanks for the losethestraps forum Lonny. Your Blog is killer too.
Here's a few pictures of the board:
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: strapless raceboard

Postby Lonny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Sflinux,

You are awesome man. LTS to the core! 8) Thanks also for your kind words. I do it because I love it, and I am glad that you appreciate LTS! :D

Todd's original racebard that he used around the same time of your board (2008 or so) was also a modified surfboard, and he did the same thing and took his straps off. Used it in the surf and actually was not a half bad board. Think he still has it somewhere.

Anyway, you need to message me with your address. I have to send you some stickers for being a long time hardcore LTS rockstar. Message me and I will send a couple out to ya....

Keep Ripping!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Underground