Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

THIS BOARD IS THE SH#%!!!!!!!

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

THIS BOARD IS THE SH#%!!!!!!!

Postby JonModica » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:55 pm

Okay, i have always believed that their really isnt a "perfect" board. Everyone has such different riding styles and need such different performance features. I have been through more then a dozen surfboards now, and i have to say this is by far the most "perfect" board i have ever ridden. No sponsors, no plugs...I PAID FOR THIS ONE.
If anyone needs the demensions/shape theory please feel free to ask any questions behind it.
-Jon Modica
Attachments
_MG_3831.jpg
_MG_3831.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 54585 times
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Re: THIS BOARD IS THE SH#%!!!!!!!

Postby JonModica » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:55 pm

one more
Attachments
_MG_3835.jpg
_MG_3835.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 54580 times
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:56 pm

one more
Attachments
_MG_3839.jpg
_MG_3839.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 54578 times
_MG_3838.jpg
_MG_3838.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 54574 times
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Yann » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Looks sweet! Is the deck concave?

Yes dimensions please. I'm about to order something similar custom. I'm thinking a concave deck for a skatier feel and maybe a channel along the rails to make grabs easier.(inspired by the rails on the 2009 Airuch choptop, http://www.airush.com/), quad setup, full deck grip. I'll show the shaper your pictures.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby JonModica » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Yann wrote:Looks sweet! Is the deck concave?

Yes dimensions please. I'm about to order something similar custom. I'm thinking a concave deck for a skatier feel and maybe a channel along the rails to make grabs easier.(inspired by the rails on the 2009 Airuch choptop, http://www.airush.com/), quad setup, full deck grip. I'll show the shaper your pictures.

I would stick to a flat deck. I can't stand too much concave. It just makes the board feel really inconsistent through turns. But thats just me. :)

Its 5'6 19 1/4 wide. 15' in the nose and 14' 1/2 in the tail. Its kinda like a thumb tail with a step.

If you want to order one from the guy who made mine, its
http://www.inspiredsurfboards.com
his name is drew and tell him you want what i got!!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Yann » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:30 am

I'm afraid it's gunna be awful expensive to have it shipped to Sweden so I'm going for something similar with a european shaper. What's the story with the round tail and why not a square, bat, or swallow? What is good with it and what is not so good?

I've never tried a concave deck but I have a feel that I'm going to like it. It makes the board weaker though so maybe a flat deck is a better idea.

With a wide board like that. Do you move around your feet a lot or keep them on the center line? I've tried a couple of fishes with similar width and hated how they behaved in too high speed. Really hard to dig the rail deep in bottom turns in hard wind because a lot of the body weight is lost with the pull from the kite. I normally surf wave boards in 24-40knots. No ground swell here.
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:45 pm

JonModica wrote:
If anyone needs the demensions/shape theory please feel free to ask any questions behind it.
-Jon Modica

Hey Jon,

I just got back from Surf Expo hoping to find a new surf board for this season, and I was planning on getting a Placebo. However, there were almost no surf companies there, just Lost, Rainbow, and Surf Tech. There was really nothing else that I was intrigued by except for this really cool Distortion boards, but more on that later. Then I saw your post about your new board. I am curious as to how you would compare it to a Placebo or Biscuit? What range is it designed for? I would like to hear more about it.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Lonny wrote:
JonModica wrote:
-Jon Modica

Hey Jon,

I just got back from Surf Expo hoping to find a new surf board for this season, and I was planning on getting a Placebo. However, there were almost no surf companies there, just Lost, Rainbow, and Surf Tech. There was really nothing else that I was intrigued by except for this really cool Distortion boards, but more on that later. Then I saw your post about your new board. I am curious as to how you would compare it to a Placebo or Biscuit? What range is it designed for? I would like to hear more about it.

Okay, so bascially i love the surfskate. Awesome board for all ariel stuff, but i really wanted something that actually could make a decent bottom turn.

This is what i want from a board,
I need a wide tail, for easier planning, more pop in an ollie, and just alot of overall surface area for light wind,
I need a full nose so i can control the board in the air on ariels
I need a tail that grabs enough in a bottom turn
And, i need a board that i can really pump in waves and in light wind, which is why i have a really low entry rocker.

This is why i had this board made. The tail is a thumb shape because unlike a swallow, squash, or bat tail, it has no defintite release point from the water, which makes it grabbier.
The step in allows me to get a smaller tail all the way in the back without sacrificing too much area.

I have so far surfed the board in 8ft waves, paddling
Kited in 30knots in head high waves
kited in 13 knots on knee high waves
and loved it all. The board is designed for everything. It most likely wont work in over 8ft so its not as good as a strapped short board,
and its not perfect in under 13 knots of wind like the surfskate.
ITS MADE FOR EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN....basically its made for 90% of the days you ride!

-Jon

Im working on getting someone to produce a production board very similar version for myself and others.

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE WHO would be interested in buying one/ know of anyone who would want to make them....
LET ME KNOW!!!!
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:05 am

Jon,

Thanks for the additional information. Sounds like you really gave your shaper a lot of good ideas that translated into a kick ass board. Are you coming to the Bimini event? If so, I would definitely like to try it there if I have not gotten something else. Basically, what you are saying though is that in everything over 13 knots it is superior in all aspects when compared to the Placebo? If that is the case, that is saying a lot because I know how much you love that board.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Yann » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:05 am

Jon, how tall are you and what do you weigh?
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby cabron » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:45 am

hey Jon!

very nice looking board and it seemed to me you knew exactly what you wanted.

One question regarding the board in the pics; have you put some skateboard deck grip on wher you'd put your front foot?

I was thinking about using either deck grip from skateboards or the deck pack material like from skimboards or SUPs etc, do you know which works better? I wouldn't use the board for paddle surfing.

thanks and good winds!

:mrgreen:
cabron
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby JonModica » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:35 pm

Lonny wrote:Jon,

Thanks for the additional information. Sounds like you really gave your shaper a lot of good ideas that translated into a kick ass board. Are you coming to the Bimini event? If so, I would definitely like to try it there if I have not gotten something else. Basically, what you are saying though is that in everything over 13 knots it is superior in all aspects when compared to the Placebo? If that is the case, that is saying a lot because I know how much you love that board.

Hmmm. I love the surfskate. awesome board. It will always have better pop, because of its huge tail, but other than that, this new board is supperior in every way.

I weigh 160lbs and i am 5'11.
My fro weights apprx. 3 lbs when wet...no joke.

Im going to the kite event in Massachusetts this weekend!!! ANYBODY IN THE BOSTON AREA SHOULD REALLY COME AND CHECK IT OUT!!!
i will post some pics of some strapless action after the event!!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Yann » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:44 pm

cabron wrote:One question regarding the board in the pics; have you put some skateboard deck grip on wher you'd put your front foot?

Never tried skateboard grip on a surfboard but I think there is a reason no one ever uses it. It's gonna eat you feet to the bone :D If you are wearing booties you should be fine but then you're losing out on a lot of the strapless sensation.

I use some pretty thick and soft pads on my Salomon Noseless, maybe like 5mm and I like how it keeps you feet a little warmer now when the water is getting cooler. It also gives you some suspension and in the long run it's much more comfortable than wax. You don't have to re-wax your board in the middle of a session so the overall average grip is better.
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby JonModica » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 pm

cabron wrote:hey Jon!

very nice looking board and it seemed to me you knew exactly what you wanted.

One question regarding the board in the pics; have you put some skateboard deck grip on wher you'd put your front foot?

I was thinking about using either deck grip from skateboards or the deck pack material like from skimboards or SUPs etc, do you know which works better? I wouldn't use the board for paddle surfing.

thanks and good winds!

:mrgreen:

The pads are just old surfboard track top i had laying around.

THE BEST IS THE DAKINE LONGBOARD PAD!!!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Yann » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:59 am

JonModica wrote:Hmmm. I love the surfskate.

Jon, what size is your Surfskate and what size would you recommend for a 176 lbs, 6'0" (80kg, 183cm) guy like me?
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Next

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard