Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

switch foot?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

switch foot?

Postby eabmoto » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 pm

When kiting in the surf, is it ever better to ride a wave in your un-natural stance? Or can you always be in your natural stance to ride the wave?
eabmoto
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: switch foot?

Postby Lonny » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm

eabmoto wrote:When kiting in the surf, is it ever better to ride a wave in your un-natural stance? Or can you always be in your natural stance to ride the wave?

This is an interesting question, and I am sure you will get many different opinions if you ask people. From my perspective it is very important to ride a wave both directions, and in fact, I force myself to do so.

One day and I was out riding with one of my good friends, Tim, and he was crushing waves going either direction. He was equally good going either way front side, and I could not figure out his natural or favored foot. When I got back on the beach that day I asked him what is natural stance was, and turns out he was goofy, but I could not determine it by watching him rip. I was impressed to say the least. From that day forward I decided that I would no longer be just a regular footed rider, and would start working also on my switch riding.

It is interesting as well, because the KSP tour is scoring riders higher if they ride a wave regular vs. switch, which I think is an important distinction when judging.

KSP Judging Guidelines:
Kite Surfers must perform according to the KSP judging key elements to maximize their
scoring potential. Judges analyze the following major elements when scoring waves:
• Commitment
• Degree of difficulty
• Innovative and progressive maneuvers
• Combination of major maneuvers
• Variety of maneuvers
• Speed, power and flow
Riding strapless, switch, unhooked or displaying any combination thereof is considered
more technically difficult
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard