Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

What are first tricks should I go for...?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

What are first tricks should I go for...?

Postby Sashstrapless » Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am

Hi everyone, I'm Alex. I'm pretty new in kiting with Surfboard... I have done some waves on Twin Tip, but never had chance on surfboard, so I am interesting to learn some wave riding and get into some tricks Strapless. For the last month I've learned comfortably riding in small to big chop, can gybe and can do some air.... so, if you can recomend for me next tricks to go for, please...
Hopefully get some riding on a reef break soon, any advise, please....the same reef break I have rode on Twin Tip, so know a feeling little bit, but a lot to learn...

Happy for any advise...

Cheers
Sashstrapless
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: What are first tricks should I go for...?

Postby Lonny » Sat May 05, 2012 10:41 am

Hey Alex,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for joining us and posting your question.

I you want to start surfboard freestyle I would start with the ollie and shuvit. Keep in mind the ollie should be practiced on flat water and chop. Airing of a wave is just that, but a flat water ollie requires different actions. Once you start getting some air, at least the fins out of the water, then you can start working on the shuvit. You can also start learning the shuvit off very small waves to help at first. You might want to put in a set of slightly smaller fins on your board at first to make it a bit looser, and more skatey. These two tricks will build the foundation for you to start many more tricks, but you really need to master these two first. Also try to learn to do them going both ways.

Hope that helps, and post some pics of your success!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Sashstrapless » Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 am

Hi Lonny,

Thank you, I'm trying to do Ollie now, ollie always was my weak point, maybe you could give me a tip or pass a link how to do it right...
Shuvit, is it once the board in the air, u opening bottom of the board to the wind?

Thanks
Sashstrapless
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Sashstrapless wrote:Hi Lonny,

Thank you, I'm trying to do Ollie now, ollie always was my weak point, maybe you could give me a tip or pass a link how to do it right...
Shuvit, is it once the board in the air, u opening bottom of the board to the wind?

Thanks

You got it! Here is a good link on the ollie:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=436

You definitely need to clear the fins with your ollie before you start working on the shuvit. If you are not getting enough height on your ollie then start by working off small chop to get enough air that it clears the fins.

Here is some good info I posted about learning a shuvit:

How do I do a Shuvit?
The shuvit is the same movement as the 180 slide, but instead of sliding with the board you are going to rotate the board 180, but stay with your same stance. The trick to this move initially is to slowly bring the kite to just above your head, but not behind you in anyway. Once the kite is about to reach 12:30 its time to initiate the shuvit it. The idea is to have the board go 180 and your ride off in the same stance and direction. You can do the 180 by pushing or pulling with your back foot and then doing the opposite with your front foot. Do whatever feels more natural to you. It is not necessary to try to pop the board. At this point you are just try to get the board to move 180 underneath your feet. The reason you want the kite high above your is that you can get a tiny bit of lift from the kite just enough to lighten your feet and let the board spin 180 underneath you. Once you have completed the spin quickly dive the kite back to 2 - 2:30 to generate some power and keep going the same direction. After you have pulled it off don't forget to look around to see if your friend saw you and you can even let out a hoot! :P The Shuvit will probably be harder for you to learn and it does take some time, but in order to progress you have to get the basic shuvit it down. Plus, they are freaking cool. 8)
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Sashstrapless » Wed May 23, 2012 6:07 am

Cool, I'm practicing on my Ollie now, Shuvit will be the next soon hope... When you done Shuvit and land it, your board will be, after 180, fins forward? So, then you need to slide board back... Can you attach video link for Shuvit, please, i need to see it...

Thanks
Sashstrapless
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard