Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

What kite(s) are you all using?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

What kite(s) are you all using?

Postby Kaito » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey guys,
I recently changed kites, and am thoroughly impressed at how its working down the line, and how it delivers & dumps power when/if needed. (my kites a Switch Element)
So was wondering, what kites are you all using, and what do you like about them?

Just thought this topic could be interresting & could get some good discussion going. 8)
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Re: What kite(s) are you all using?

Postby Hudson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:19 pm

I have been lucky enough to try out the new Peter Lynn Fury and Escape and i can say these kites are the business! The 7m escape has a tight turning radius making it easy to get into the critical sections and pulling the bar in is like hitting the accelerator getting you there fast. All the kites have great performance even the 11m escape, cross on shore winds is the most fun with the 11m giving the rider greAt pop for some fun airs. The fury has some great power for racing!
Hudson
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:26 am

I'm owning ARCs for a couple of years. Funny there would be two Peter Lynn posts in a row, because this is not a very common brand. Anyways, I'm flying all kind of kites swapping with the peeps on the beach, so here's my opinion: ARCs need a different flying skill, because they work on apparent wind, not on simply sheeting in. Once you've got this dialled, they work just fine. Pro's are: fast rigging, complete independence on launch & land, easy fixing them (no bladder), no pump, sturdy. Kind of a 4x4 kite. For waves, you can tune them nicely to float downwind without input. Downsides are (if you're used to LEIs), you need a different set of flying skills. ARCs are a bit special and not for everybody I suppose. I love them for their simplicity.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Hudson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 am

Go on to the peter lynn website and u can check out their new inflatables. They really insane. http://peterlynn.com/
Hudson
Grom

Share |

Postby sflinux » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 am

Tungsten,
What model ARCs are you using? And what sizes? I've flown the waterfoil, s-arc, guerilla2s, and phantoms. I agree ARCS fly off apparent wind, like flying a c-kite in underpowered conditions. I moved back to c-kites for faster turning speed, better low end, and no auto zenith. I prefer to fly kites in sizes 8M or smaller, that unhook well without touching the trim (hence c-kites), in a moderate or moderate-low aspect ratio.
Kaito, I have yet to try the Switch Element, though I've seen a 13M as well as the 9M Switch Method in person. I'd like to try the Method and Combat in 5M - 7M sizes.
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:01 am

hi sflinux, I have all sorts, over the years I kept what I like and pass on what doesn't suit me. As they are so sturdy, there are some 2005 kites in my sail bag :D All kites are modded for strapless and wave (fast turning, grunt, behaved). I have V8 + SYN10 for >25kn, SYN12 for 13-30kn, CH15 for low winds. No question you get more performance out of a modern C or SLE compared to a 2005 or 2007 ARC. But not more ease :D
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Vik » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am

Ocean Rodeo kites here - I'm just retiring 8m & 10M Rises and trying out 8m & 10M Razors and a 9m Cypher... :D

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/
Vik
Grom

Share |

Postby Fly23 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 am

Been using North Rebels for a few years now.. great turning performance when fully depowered on waves, massive floaty jumps, not fast enough in +9mt. They also take gusts extra well, and for me this is key in strapless surfing :)
I'm considering to change now, but I'll write a separate post for this.
Fly23
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard