Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Deck padding or wax? What's your coverage?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Deck padding or wax? What's your coverage?

Postby Kaito » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering how you all are covering the front of your surfboards? Wax or padding?

I've been on a Placebo surfsk8 for the past few yrs, and covered it w/the NSI pad w/strap-inserts, not used'm tho, since I'm only strapless.
The pads probably helped keep the board together because it is dented under the pad, and the heel-side rail has a surface crack all the way through. :shock:

Moving on, I Picked up a Firewire Hellfire506 this week & debating on how I'll cover the front of the board.
Its the kite-construction, so I'm gonna try it out with wax for a while, but concerned if it'll get dented?
I weigh 150~155lbs, and do strapless airs off of waves.

Probably best to de-wax it & cover it up with padding?

Any info or experience with the durability/dent-proofness of the Firewires out there?
Any info or expereince you all could share on how you're covering the front of your surboards? ~ and how they're holding up?

Thanks for sharing!
Domo arigato~! (^-^)/
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Re: Deck padding or wax? What's your coverage?

Postby tungsten » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Kaito, personally I do prefer full deck pads, because i'm lazy and don't want that sticky wax all around my car. But that's just me. I remember there was a thread about the subject nicely pointing out the pros and cons, let's see if I find it.

good winds, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 am

Hey Kaito,

Regardless of whether you wax or use a pad any surfboard can and will eventually break if jumped. That is the cost to entry. And well worth it in my opinion. :twisted: Some boards are definitely more delicate than others, and if your board is not reinforced for the rigors of kiting vs. surfing then a pad will give some additional durability. You said that your board has the proper construction with kiting in mind then it is really just personal taste. Every surfboard I have ever owned has heel dented with pads or not. I kind of like them, it marks my comfy riding spots. In fact, I feel lost without my heel impressions.

I use a combination of both wax and pads on most my boards, and I also like to wax the pad a bit. Generally I learn toward using a front pad to help absorb the impact more for my body than the board. :lol: I have two new surfboards for this season. I used the front pad on my 5' 6" Skillet because I do a lot of freestyle surfing with this board. However, on the new 5' 10" PC Squad I really liked the feel without the pad on the front, and mainly will mostly try to surf with this board and not do any freestyle tricks.

From my perspective I think it is more important to do what feels good to you vs. worrying about the long term longevity of your board. If you feel good you will ride better, and ultimately have more fun. And that is why we are out there right? A board can always be replaced, but a good time on the water, well that is special...

Here are some posts that Tungsten was talking about:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=748&hilit=wax
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=441&p=1999&hilit=wax+pads#p1999

Type in wax or pads in the search box on the top right corner and you might find some more useful information.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kaito » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks guys, for the feedback and links to more dialog. :)

I'll keep it waxed till I order & rec'v my new pads!

Pros/cons considered, the pads win by a thin margin.

Just need some wind to get out in! 8)
Arigatou!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Slyde » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 am

Nice tip about waxing the pads Lonny. I can finally keep my front foot on my skillet. Those cabbie pads could be grippier!
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Surfer11May » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 pm

I like a mix of padding for the high use areas and five finger shoes for good traction on the uncovered area.

Look for the siping tread design for best traction and keep suntan oil away from the board. The five finger shoes do pick up sand after walking in sand for a while but it is easy to shake out the sand before a session. If they start to stink :( , just soak them in water with a little white vinegar. :D
Surfer11May
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard