Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Strapless and Proud

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Strapless and Proud

Postby dugman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:25 am

:) Hi
Live on Maui and just discovered your sight yesterday. I just purchased a second hand board today and had my first strapless session about an hour after I left the surf shop. Like the feel of a lighter board and freedom of movement without the straps. I have been riding strapped directionals on and off for the past 12 years.
I have a few questions. I weigh about 250 lbs so I picked up a Rusty Pirahna 6'4" thruster for lighter winds and smoother water. I do have a custom naish Fish quad that is 5'7" and 20.5 wide that I have not taken the straps off yet. The fins that came with the Piranha are about 4.5 inches and was wondering if I need to change them out to somthing larger? The board has a skatey feel to it which I kind of like but it did not go up wind too well compaired to my Fish. That may just be the characteristics of the board. Thanks in advance for any advice.
dugman
Grom

Share |

Drifter for strappless surf

Postby dugman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 pm

I am on my third week or so of strapless rideing. Gets more fun each time I go out. I demoed a 11m Cab Drifter today and found it very nice for strapless surfing. Had a three hour session with it and my Rusty Pirahna 6'4" in about head high surf. Great combo. :D
dugman
Grom

Share |

Re: Drifter for strappless surf

Postby Lonny » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 am

dugman wrote:I am on my third week or so of strapless rideing. Gets more fun each time I go out. I demoed a 11m Cab Drifter today and found it very nice for strapless surfing. Had a three hour session with it and my Rusty Pirahna 6'4" in about head high surf. Great combo. :D

Hey Dugman,

Welcome to LTS. Thanks for joining us, and posting. I have been testing the Drifter for the past 3 weeks, and ridden in a lot of conditions and agree that the Drifter is the best kite Cabrinha has produced to date for strapless surfing, and for strapless riding in general. I plan on posting a full review within the next week. It took a lot of convincing for me to not get Switchblades, but this kite really works for my style of riding. :D More in a bit... **DISCLAIMER** I have been sponsored by Cabrinha for over 10 years - but I am giving my honest opinion.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby dugman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I have to agree with you about the drifter. I had the best day ever in the surf with it. I was actually able to surf and forgot about the kite a few times.
I purchased a couple of switchblades just a few weeks ago and kind of wished I had tried the drifters beforehand. The SB have great power though and I am sure I will appreciate that when riding strapped or on flatter water.
I was imediatley comfy in the waves with the drifter. I will definatley want the drifter for the unstrapped wave sessions. Just need to save up for one or two of them now.
By the way I am sponsored by no one and think the drifter is the best kite I have riden so far in the waves.... IMO :lol:
dugman
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 pm

dugman wrote:By the way I am sponsored by no one and think the drifter is the best kite I have riden so far in the waves.... IMO :lol:

:lol:

Sorry about the disclaimer, but when I started LTS I wanted to make sure it was a non-pimping, no BS site, and everyone here has been doing a great job with that motto. It wouldn't be good if I did not follow my own guidelines.

Honestly, though, do not feel bad about the Switchblades. I was not crazy about the larger size in the Drifter so I picked a quiver of a 11 SB, 9 Drifter, and 7 Drifter. You are lucky enough to live on Maui so you get a lot of real wave days, with perfect conditions and steady wind. However, when it is on-shore, gusty, and the surf is a bit sloppy the Switchblade is a hard kite to beat (read between the lines, typical crap Miami conditions).

Even if you do end up deciding that you want to change from SB to Drifters they are about the easiest kite in the world to sell. Generally people ask me for mine before I am even through with using them for the season! :shock:

You are 100% right about forgetting about the kite while surfing with the Drifter. I was amazed how easy to was to park the kite above my head and just enjoy the wave. It is super easy to steer with one hand. The power band is so smooth, which was very surprising to me considering how quick the kite is. When you downloop the kite the power is so even and controllable - it does not pull you downwind too fast and lets you get right back into the zone. There are definitely some drawbacks with the Drifter, such as much weak upwind ability, very poor low end power, and the range is not equal when compared to a Switchblade. Overall, the drawbacks are not a consideration when compared to the benefits. It is without a doubt the best kite Cabrinha has produced for the strapless rider.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby dugman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:09 am

Hi Lonny
I am courious about why you said you were not so crazy about the 11m drifter? I am just trying to figure out what size drifter to buy and maybe what SB to sell.
My quiver is a 8m and a 11 m sb. Maybe I should get the 9m drifter and keep my 11 switchy. :?:
dugman
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:58 am

dugman wrote:Hi Lonny
I am courious about why you said you were not so crazy about the 11m drifter? I am just trying to figure out what size drifter to buy and maybe what SB to sell.
My quiver is a 8m and a 11 m sb. Maybe I should get the 9m drifter and keep my 11 switchy. :?:

In the 11 meter wind range I prefer to have a kite with better overall range and upwind ability vs. ultimate surf-ability. We get a lot of days here in the 12 - 20 mph range with crap or no surf, and can be fairly gusty. The Switchblade 11 is a great size, and suits the riding in those conditions better than the 11 Drifter. I think the sweet spot for the Drifter range is 7 to 9. Overall, the advantages of the Switchblade 11 are a better fit vs. the 11 Drifter - especially when I factor in my local condition. That being said, you might be 100% happy on the Drifter since you guys get much steadier wind, and much better surf than we do here in the same wind range. Also, I find that I can be powered on my surfboard starting at 15 - 16 mph with the 9 Drifter, that does not leave much use for the 11 because I do not think the low end would be that much better than the 9, and I don't want to "hold down" and 11 when it's gusting to 20-22. The Switchblade starts to work for me in 10-11 mph and I can easily go over 20mph. Just a better fit for me, and our local conditions. No right or wrong.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Re: Driftering

Postby dugman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I had a chance to demo the 11 drifter again at a Cabrinha demo day on Saturday. For my weight and our conditions here it works great. It seems to do everything just a little easier than the switchblade except go up wind and boost but manages to do that fairly well. Yes the Switchblade has a better range in general and more pull. One of the big plusses with the drifter is that it is fast. In some ways it makes up a little for the less power. I can move it around much easier. Since my switcblade was only used a few times they allowed me to exchange it for a 11 drifter. SUPER COOL :D Hope it does not sound like I am pimping too much but just want people to know about the Drifter and at least try one out if considering getting a new kite for strapless riding.
dugman
Grom

Share |

Re: Driftering

Postby Lonny » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Dugman, that is excellent feedback! As I said in my previous post the 11 was not as good a fit as the Switchblade for my size and conditions, but might be a perfect fit for you. Glad you tried it and even better swapped it for you! Your situation is the perfect example of what might not be right for one is perfect for another. You are on the water stoked, and that is all that matters! 8)

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard