Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

5'8 2010 naish custom fish too small for a big guy?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

5'8 2010 naish custom fish too small for a big guy?

Postby jeffyg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 pm

first off wanted to say a big hello from the north west (bc) came across this forum about a week ago and its sweet!

was wondering if someone would chime in their thoughts on a board for me.. greatly appreciated.

just at work here now and killing time in a remote camp and want to order up a new board, looking for a board for a new strapless rider. i ride rebel kites

living in north west BC local spot in in a channel, get some decent size rollers, nothing too crazy, 15-25kts generally
on the coast and north island get consistant onshore chop, beach break, couple of feet, slashy type surf, it can definitely get serious at times but i am looking for something to have some fun on the rollers and in the beach break and work my way up to the real surf. (i am not a surfer)

found a new 2010 naish custom fish 5'8, 18 1/4, 2 1/2 i can get super cheap... i am 6'3 202lb. someone already suggested this would be a fun board for me but what do you guys think? i dont expect it to do everything i already know when i make a fall trip down to the island and tofino ill end up buying another epoxy or firewire surf board there but just looking for something slashy and fun for the smaller type stuff...

anyways any imput is appreciated
jeff
jeffyg
Grom

Share |

Re: 5'8 2010 naish custom fish too small for a big guy?

Postby JonModica » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:32 am

Jeff,
That is going to be fine if you just want to ride it when its windy. I weigh 160ish and i ride a 5'8 by 19
For your weight i would recommend something atleast 20" wide. The length isnt a huge issue. but the width and tail width are vital for your weight.
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby ICP » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Jeff-

Ill agree with Jon. At 6' and 205 my personal boards are 5'10 x 18 3/4 and 6'1 x 18 3/4. The 5'10 is for all around summer Maui and the 6'1 is for surf. If you are looking for flatwater/small surf 5'8 to 6' x 19 is going to kill it.

The 5'8 fish is super fun. I ride it a fair bit in onshore windy conditions (Waiehu). Construction is bomber and it will last a good long time.

Ian
ICP
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby FredBGG » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:24 am

That's a bit small for you, but if you are well powered up with no windshadows near the beach it will be fun.
When board size is on the small size it makes a big difference to ride it strapless.
You will get more bottom end out of it strapless. Straps are always mounted too far back for heavier guys.

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs.
The smallest I use is a 5'10" retro Fish with a wide tail.
I also use a 6'4" funboard Lost Speed Demon and a 6'8" mini gun.

In the waves it's nice to keep your kite size down so a good board size will help that.
FredBGG
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby jeffyg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 am

thanks for the imput guys, the deal looks like it might have fell through but i just ordered from the 'somewhatlocalshop' a liquidforce kite fish ($375) pretty excited to see what its all about!
jeffyg
Grom

Share |

Postby Cisco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello,
I've been reading ur posts for awhile....finally I saved up enough dough to purchase my 1st surfboard.

I have no experience buying surf boards, so I'm looking for input from guys who can recommend all around boards from experience riding surfboards.
I've narrow it down to 2010 Naish Global 6’0” x 18" x 2" QUAD, Naish Global 6’2” x 18 1/4" x 2 1/4" TRI Fin) & 2011 Slingshot Verve 6'0" x 19.3" x 2.5" TRI Fin
What's diffrence between 6'0" quad and 6'2" thruster?

I live in Puerto Rico and during the winter the waves are pretty good...that's why I'm looking to learn now, before the surf season hits.

I'm planning to freeride / play and eventually wave as soon as I get better transitions/jibes.

conditions in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
Chop Small Wave <1m and medium wave 1-3m

5'11" 215lbs.
2009 Switchblade IDS 12m
2008 Convert 15m
2009 Prodigy 148cm
Cisco
Grom

Share |

Postby ICP » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:41 pm

For an alla round board I would recommend the 60 Global. You may find the 6'2 a bit large for cruising around, and it is really suited to a surf application. The SS board is a bit wide for surf, bu=ut will be super fun for freestyle and flat water.

Personally I am a fan of quads. they are positive when you want them, and loose off the top. tracking in a straight line on flat water feels better on the quads.

Ian
ICP
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby jeffyg » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 pm

just picked up a brand new 2010 5'10 skillit for 499cdn..... cant wait to get home from work now!
jeffyg
Grom

Share |

Postby ICP » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:13 am

The 5'10 S-killit is a fun board. definitely a good onshore board. The construction has a very custom feel. good flex and feel. It will dent, but that just indexes your stance.

Have fun

Ian
ICP
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 am

ICP wrote:The 5'10 S-killit is a fun board. definitely a good onshore board. The construction has a very custom feel. good flex and feel. It will dent, but that just indexes your stance.

Have fun

Ian

Agree with Ian here. I love the heal dents, actually I kind of can't wait till I break my board in. It feels comfy once my moon craters have been made. I would always rather have the board dent than have a super stiff, teeth rattling, ankle busting ride. Replacing a board is much easier than your body parts. I always trade feel for maximum durability.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard