Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Which board to fit these parameters?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Which board to fit these parameters?

Postby OneidaLakeKiter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 am

Just started riding strapless on an Ocean Rodeo Mako King (165x45) with their new deck pad and I put the 3 fins on the back. I find that I wish I had something bigger and wider for some more flotation when trying gybe turns and playing around. I guess more stability while I'm learning. This board is real grippy and knives thru the water more than it planes. I'm not really into tricks and air but more busting thru shore break and getting out into the rollers (4 feet sometimes) and peeling off the roller downwind and slashing around a bit. I like stability since I get into deep water sometimes and the breaking waves are in shallow water... I also like zen sightseeing sessions in lighter wind. But I am not looking for the "lightwind answer".

The conditions are inland lake/1-3foot waves with chop, rollers farther out, mush, and onshore wind (10-15mph the norm). I'm 5'8/165 lbs...

I've kind of narrowed it down to:
Cabrinha S-Killit 5'10
Underground FreeWave 5'8 or FreeWave Fish 5'8"
Placebo Uber Fish 5'8" or 5'6"
Placebo Surf Skate 5' or 4'11"

Any opinions - Thanks
OneidaLakeKiter
Grom

Share |

Re: Which board to fit these parameters?

Postby sick nick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Those all look sweet, but you could also just try out some random used surfboard. A wide fish shape would be really good for learning to gybe, etc. Find something for a couple hundred bucks, and if you break it, no big deal. I guess there may not be much of a used surfboard market near you since you're on a lake though.
sick nick
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby OneidaLakeKiter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Yeh it's tough to find any surfboards here. I do look thru BoardLocker though and occasionally something catches my eye but I always seemed to get burned when I get something used. But there's little chance of breaking anything since I don't throw down any crazy moves and it's all sand where I'm at. So I'll stick with something new...
OneidaLakeKiter
Grom

Share |

Postby smithdwsn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:59 am

I think surfboard is the best for it. There is no problem regarding that. It is nice and comfortable. So this is the best option for it.
smithdwsn
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard