Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Anyone tried Underground Kipuna Freewave 5'8 or Fish?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Anyone tried Underground Kipuna Freewave 5'8 or Fish?

Postby cabron » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:58 am

I am looking for feedback on these boards as there are only couple of biased opinions I have been able to find. Do they provide the "surf" feeling or are they more like a surfboard outline with twintip structure without the buoyancy etc? My main worry is that the 5'8 is not buyoant enough for 175lbs rider...

They seem to be very flexy for a surfboard which would be nice for jumping and making them strong as well.

But what's your feedback on the board(s)? And strapless of course.

Thank you and good winds!
cabron
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Anyone tried Underground Kipuna Freewave 5'8 or Fish?

Postby oldschool » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Just received my Underground Kipuna Freewave 5'8" this week. Rode it for 1st time today. I'm not a surf board expert as this was my 1st time. The most important part for me was it rides very smooth (bad knees). I rode it back to back with my OR Mako 150 and was just as smooth and went up wind easily. There are plenty of better light wind boards but this board rocks. Riding strapless was easy (thanks to Jon G's coaching). I weigh 170lbs. You should be fine with the 5'8"

Great site!
oldschool
Grom

Share |

Postby Codder » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I have been eyeing these boards in our shop for a while now. I rode a UG Freewave a couple years ago and while the board rode great, it definitely had a different feel under my feet because the deck is completely flat. Some like it some don't. I am thinking of getting one but it's an awful expensive chance to take :|
Codder
Grom

Share |

Postby funkster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi cabron! I got my Kipuna 5' 8'' 20 days ago and I really like it! I am no expert, it is my first surfboard but i can tell for sure that riding strapless this board is saving a lot my bad left knee (ACL surgery). Except that is really strong and the fact that it is covered with this pad it makes it unbreakable when I hit it with my heels and I dont get hurt myself also when I land on it. This is the most important for me right now cause I don't want to break my new surfboard even before I learn to jibe the right way. After that I know that it will not break when the waves throw it on the rocks of the wavespots that i ride.
I am 72 kg, 1.75m and the 5' 8'' is just perfect (I' ve tried the 6' 2'' also which has the same widthas the 5' 8'' and it was the wrong size for me)
funkster
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard