Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

How to tack a surfboard?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

How to tack a surfboard?

Postby drone » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:51 am

Hi everyone, i'm newbie here. This summer sold all my TT and began to ride strapless. I have no problems to jybe, but have problems with tacking. I saw a lots of videos on You tube, looks nice and easy, but i can not turn surfboard upwind on ~180 degrees.
Please post here your experience...
drone
Grom

Share |

Re: How to tack a surfboard?

Postby starsky » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Thats a decent tutorial from the guys at Caution but its much fancier than what I usually end up doing when trying to max upwind.

I usually work on breaking out the tail for a 180 with stance switch right at the stall/pivot as the kite comes across the top like most racers do but have found the easiest is to just tack like I'm on a twin tip and pretty much as soon as the board is moving backward but on the new tack, dig your heelside edge over the fins and let the nose slide a downwind 180 and head out toe side, then when your comfy switch stance. I guess thats kind of a mash up between a jibe and a tack! But it loses no ground.
starsky
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Drone,

Welcome to LTS! Thank you for joining us here and posting your question.

The Duck Tack is a cool tack and especially useful for racing. I do a tack that I believe is called the Kangaroo tack, but I am not positive. I picked it up from watching Ian Alldredge, and once you get it dialed its pretty darned easy and keeps you upwind in the waves. Essentially all you do is use your back foot to drive the nose of your board upwind. As you do this you slowly bring your kite from 1 o'clock to about 11. As you head up you will feel the kite give you a little lift or almost a bit of weightlessness on your board. At that point you take your front foot and move it towards the nose of the board and move your back foot towards the center of the board to pivot on. Your front foot is used to break the fins and allow you to push the other 180 degrees to make it a tack. It might be a bit hard to visualize through text. I will try to shoot some video of it the next time I an out riding.

Remember you have to take the weight off the back of your board to break the fins, otherwise it just will not go the other 180 degrees, which I think is where you might be having a problem. I am sure if Jon chimes in he can give you some more really good pointers, but I hope that helps a little.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby drone » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:27 am

Thanks for reply, I already found mistakes what I have made, I will try and report back.
drone
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard