Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Help please - NSP 5ft 6"

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Help please - NSP 5ft 6"

Postby james.dixon » Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 am

Hello guys,

Great forum by the way.

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been surfing and kitesurfing for a number of years (surfing the longest). I'm wanting to mix things up with my kiting and get into strapless riding over the summer in our typical 2-3 ft cross onshore mush. I do have a couple of surfboards which I've gone out on briefly with the kite and whilst I loved it I am wary of damaging them (heel dents etc) and also found them quite hard to manage at speed (6ft 3" Surftech mullet fish, 6ft 8" x 18" thruster).

I don't have much spare cash at the moment and saw the opportunity to buy an NSP 5ft 6" 07 model fish for £130. I already know that these are heavy boards and not up to the quality a ride of the more advanced PU's and Expoxies but would it still work? I like the fact that they are tough and will put up with the pressures of kiting. I really want to make sure it will get going relatively early. I really want a board that will get going in lightish winds (14 knots would be good). It looks like it has a fairly flat rocker and I intend to change the cheap fins if I got it with an FCS conversion kit (recommendations would be great though as to which fins).

I weigh 12.5 stone (175 lb / 80kg) and I have an F-one legend that I really haven't got on well with. It is good fun when it's howling but it just doesn't work for me in the light winds. It seems to have a lot of drag and if the NSP 5ft 6" will be the same I would rather stay well clear.

Has anyone had experience riding the NSP 5ft 6"? Good and Bad points much appreciated.

James
james.dixon
Grom

Share |

Re: Help please - NSP 5ft 6"

Postby JonModica » Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 am

Its not a horrible board. At least the demensions are more kite appropriate. It will feel fairly sluggish, but the biggest problem
comes in because of the fins. Try and replace those.
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby james.dixon » Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 am

Finally took the plunge after seeing what I'm hoping is going to be a sweet board to start riding strapless.

I found a Colin McCulloch custom chop top second hand and picked it up at the weekend It's 5ft 3", 19" wide with a single concave hull and what looks like a very flat rocker and lokbox fins. I've taken the straps off and padded 2/3rds of the deck so just waiting for the winds now!

james.dixon
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon May 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Looks like a sweet board, and second hand was a good call. Based on the specs you listed, and the photos I think its going to work well for you. Of course you never really know until you feel the board in the water to judge the stiffness, and I could not really see the rails. Keep us up to date on your progress and give us your feedback so we can add your opinions to our growing knowledge base of boards.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby james.dixon » Tue May 19, 2009 5:18 am

Yes, I will definitely keep you posted. It looks pretty windless for the next week (North East England) but hopefully things will improve :D
james.dixon
Grom

Share |

Postby JonModica » Fri May 22, 2009 9:47 am

That board looks fun!
I cant wait to post pics of my new stick i picked up today!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby james.dixon » Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 pm

So then Jon - where are the pics of your new board :D

I got out on Saturday. More bump and jump conditions than waves but it was a brilliant session! I am stoked with the new board. It gets going nice and early and is much more agile than the 6' 3" Surftech Mullet I'd been using before.

I just need to get better and strapless riding now :D
james.dixon
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard