Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Lets talk about fins!

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Lets talk about fins!

Postby JonModica » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Hey guys,
I have been getting a TON of questions from people about what fins i use.
Im kinda a fin nerd, i carry LOTS of fins with me. For the most part though i like to keep three sets with me.
(these are all future fins)
1. F3 honeycomb (4.25) this is a flat traditional fin. This is my all around set for good conditions. kinda like old reliable!
F3_Clear_Hex_383.jpg
F3
Height: 4.25 in, 10.80 cm
Base: 4.31 in, 10.90 cm
Area: 13.58 sq in, 87.61 sq cm
F3_Clear_Hex_383.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 108124 times

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=1

2. Supergrom FSG1 (4.15) Has a slight foil. This is a great small wave/lightwind/learn new trick set because its really loose due to its small size.
SG_Green_383.jpg
FSG1

Height: 4.15 in, 10.60 cm
Base: 4.05 in, 10.30 cm
Area: 12.51 sq in, 80.71 sq cm
SG_Green_383.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 108126 times

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=175
3. Quad set. ALWAYS HAVE A SET OF QUADS. I prefer thruster, but there are some spots...like jupiter shorebreak...where a set of these will make it happen!
anyone got any other suggestions?

Favorite fin i didn't mention?

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Re: Lets talk about fins!

Postby sundogchicky » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57 pm

dont like em.
theyr kinda like straps
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Yann » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 am

I always have a set of FCS GX standard composite fins (really small grom fin) to elaborate with. I can use the center fin together with some standard side fins to get my board looser or put them all in for a really slidey experience. The center fin also work well together with the FCS MR Twin fins to stabilize the a twin setup a little. Haven't tried that with a kite though, too much pressure on the fin boxes I think.

I wouldn't call myself a fin nerd because i don't care that much about material or construction. I could still buy an expensive set just because I think they look cool and really pop out in a photo :mrgreen: I guess that makes me a photo nerd :?:

I recently ordered a custom board with 5 fin boxes beacause I want to try the same board with both quad and thruster setup. The quads I've tried felt a lot different from a thruster and I'm not sure I like the lack of a pivot point, so I'll probably ride it as a thruster for the most times. It will still be very interesting to try the exact same board with different setups and I'm sure there are spots that work better with quads.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:01 pm

the right fins can make all the difference in how your board rides! at times i will swap my third fin for a deeper bite for larger surf or higher winds.
i have also been playing with the surfco hawaii fins that have a rubber edge to them. with a lot of flex, and constuction choices they seem to work quite well and i feel hella safer with them when im being tumbled about. i will some times run a real soft third fin for spinny stuff. im talkin flexy.
if its a oneboard quiver ya got, id have lots of fins on hand. since i got too many decks i just experiment till i find the perfect fin for that board and its intended condition.
i ideally like my fin to snap before my box comes out, and have them reinforced when glassed and choose
the Future setup as it seems a bit more durable with the front tab on the fin breaking before the box or fin.
im am not fin picky though as i tend to ride whatever i have left that hasnt been snapped out then lost.
fins" popping out"in a photo is also a top priority as is color coordinating my kiting outfits with matching boards ,kites, and of course my" sponsors" jersey.
fashion aside, anyone else have preference or pros and cons of the competing fin box choices? fcs, future etc? and has any one chopped some fins down to make
a twin tippy fin set up for theyre surf board , kinda a mini low profile thruster for kelpy, shallows but allowing some bite for a surfskim experience?
on a side note im reminded of some footy of ian alldredge from five or so years ago ripping the crap out of his surfboard, strapless, and without fins as he snapped them out earlier in the day. it was pretty damn close to hows he rides now, hmmmmm can you say backside air to pop shuvits a while ago
ill dig it up someday
coffees worn off im out! :lol:
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:24 pm

sundogchicky wrote:the right fins can make all the difference in how your board rides! at times i will swap my third fin for a deeper bite for larger surf or higher winds.
i have also been playing with the surfco hawaii fins that have a rubber edge to them. with a lot of flex, and constuction choices they seem to work quite well and i feel hella safer with them when im being tumbled about. i will some times run a real soft third fin for spinny stuff. im talkin flexy.
if its a oneboard quiver ya got, id have lots of fins on hand. since i got too many decks i just experiment till i find the perfect fin for that board and its intended condition.
i ideally like my fin to snap before my box comes out, and have them reinforced when glassed and choose
the Future setup as it seems a bit more durable with the front tab on the fin breaking before the box or fin.
im am not fin picky though as i tend to ride whatever i have left that hasnt been snapped out then lost.
fins" popping out"in a photo is also a top priority as is color coordinating my kiting outfits with matching boards ,kites, and of course my" sponsors" jersey.
fashion aside, anyone else have preference or pros and cons of the competing fin box choices? fcs, future etc? and has any one chopped some fins down to make
a twin tippy fin set up for theyre surf board , kinda a mini low profile thruster for kelpy, shallows but allowing some bite for a surfskim experience?
on a side note im reminded of some footy of ian alldredge from five or so years ago ripping the crap out of his surfboard, strapless, and without fins as he snapped them out earlier in the day. it was pretty damn close to hows he rides now, hmmmmm can you say backside air to pop shuvits a while ago
ill dig it up someday
coffees worn off im out! :lol:
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm

anyone try a minifoil fin in the back? had them on some Donald Takayama's back in the day, complete with the Cheyne Horan fat tail eggs that he was soo into that year.
might actually get a bit of lift out of it? i loved the way they surfed but was worried about my coolness amongst the others with normal shapes and traded for round tail pins.
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:50 pm

lets talk about NO fins as well! I looking at some ideas at shapes for a slightly bigger, narrower skim/surf for the bigger waves and marginal gusty winds. and came across this.

http://rusty.com/blog/2008/07/29/finless-crafts/

hmmmmmmm
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 pm

and honeycombs good yeah yeah yeah... :?
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 am

sundogchicky wrote:lets talk about NO fins as well! I looking at some ideas at shapes for a slightly bigger, narrower skim/surf for the bigger waves and marginal gusty winds. and came across this.

http://rusty.com/blog/2008/07/29/finless-crafts/

hmmmmmmm

That looks insane! I really like the idea of the channels, but I wonder how well the board rides especially with the added power of the kite. I think there is a lot of merit to try something like that. Especially with a wave specific skim with a channel bottom?? :?: :shock:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby spewing » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Slightly off topic but if you've got a production board with Mini Tuttle box's and want to change the fins NSP make an FCS fin adapter

http://store.magicseaweed.com/NSP-FCS-A ... Item/1143/

Personally i think the best feature of this is that it cants out the side fins which i prefer. Also its a pretty safe bet that you will break a FCS fin before you rip out the box.

Kev
spewing
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Yann » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Yes, recently mounted them to my Salomon Noseless but haven't tried it yet. The original ones were way to small for a 80kg guy like me in decent swell.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby CraM » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am

pretty crazy stuff... and definitely artistic

but i question the performance characteristics of a few of them...

??

-=c
CraM
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby mikelet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Slightly off topic but if you've got a production board with Mini Tuttle box's and want to change the fins NSP make an FCS fin adapter

http://store.magicseaweed.com/NSP-FCS-A ... Item/1143/

Personally i think the best feature of this is that it cants out the side fins which i prefer. Also its a pretty safe bet that you will break a FCS fin before you rip out the box.

Kev

Mounted the NSP adaptors too,they are just a bit too thick compared to my tuttles on a Salomon noseless,expect sand it from thickness and also a bit the corners to get on the box...
It's true the adaptors cants out the side fins even more.I setup my board with FCS M3's on the sides and leaved the original small plastic center fin.Feel a huge improved upwind ability and better and more relaxed toeside riding,love how performs the board now.Bad part it's i broke one of the side fins,so i need to get a complete set again,be aware they are way more fragile than mini tuttle :?
mikelet
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby park1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi there, great site, absolutely love it!

I've got a 2007 North Rocketfish 5'10" x 19.75" and a 2007 Slingshot SRT 5'11" x 18.5". Both are tri fins and have standard mini tuttle fins 4.5" deep 4" base. I'd like to loosen the board up a bit. I've tried removing the rear fin, but it was a bit too loose. I've got three options,

1. get a full set of small NSP fins 4.25" base and 4" deep - bit expensive (£25) but mean i could try a full set of smaller fins or just a smaller rear fin.

2. get an FCS GS trailing fin 3.62" base and 3.55" deep (i've got adaptors for FCS) - much cheaper (£12.50) but will it be too loose?

3. get a full set of FCS G-X 3.93" base and 3.66" deep - most expensive option (£40)

I'd love to know peoples experiences as i don't want to shell out the money, then end up using my original set!

Cheers

Dan
park1
Grom

Share |

Postby starsky » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:12 pm

flat or foil? and why?

Also, why is a quad considered faster than thruster?
starsky
Getting Wet

Share |

Next

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard