Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Stud or dud? Thruster => TwinFin

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Stud or dud? Thruster => TwinFin

Postby sflinux » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 am

I'm a big fan of Kenn Senn, a.k.a. TopHat. There was a recent interview of him:
http://lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1255
I've read on kiteforum about his tip on removing the center fin of a thruster, this interview reminded me of it.
When our conditions turn gnarly I've been turning to a Bic Fish 5'10". I like that it is cheap, heavy, and indestructible. I tried riding this board with the center fin removed and didn't like it. The board felt too loose and didn't go upwind as well, so I ride it as a thruster.
I had been taking a break from my Placebo Surfskate (riding alaias and Wegener tunas). I liked the Placebo for light winds. When I tried to ride the Surfskate powered and with speed, the board tracks with a lot of lift. I didn't like the way this board felt when dropping into waves with speed nor when riding out gusts with speed. Today I removed the center fin and rode the Placebo Surfskate as a twin fin, what a difference. The board has all of the good qualities of the Surfskate, still tracks well, not too loose, and rides much smoother with speed, without that lift feeling like a hydrofoil/raceboard. That stock center fin to me just feels like all drag, giving too much lift, and is unnecessary.
If you have a thruster that feels like the tail pitches back & nose pitches up with speed and feels like it has too much drag, try riding it as a Twinfin.
Much aloha to TopHat 8)
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Stud or dud? Thruster => TwinFin

Postby tungsten » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:23 pm

sflinux, I share your observation. I ride my rear fins on a thruster max. 3/4 the size of the side fins, and the side fins are the smallest ones I get, max 100mm base, 120mm deep. I found big fins and especially big rear fins to be an effective drift anchor at speed.

TopHat is a pleasure to watch riding. Very smooth style, not destroying the wave but playing with it. Inspiring.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard