Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

New member question.

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

New member question.

Postby Mickforster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm new to forum and totally addicted to strapless. Come from a windsurfing and sailing background. Been kitesurfing for 6 years. Just wish I had, discovered strapless sooner. I ride ozone c4's and a zephyr for light wind. I have an old custom admunson stick which is 6'2 I think. Can gybe, ride toeside and switch pretty quickly 80% of the time

My trouble however seems to be timing to get on an actually wave and then if on one actually controlling the power in my kite so I can stay on it.
Any advice on getting on waves such as switching before / after, riding toeside into them and the carving would be greatly appreciated.

My local spot (north east Ireland) doesn't produce the Atlantic driven swell like the west but mushy waves which can still be fun. Just had 5 consecutive days on the water with good winds so time to swot up on improving my technique. :)

Thanks in advance.
M
Mickforster
Grom

Share |

Re: New member question.

Postby tungsten » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi Mick,

welcome to LTS, and sláinte to you!

I'd say your experience is a common one, and there is no magic trick to it.

First of all, keep at it. Then, it all depends on the wind direction vs. wave direction. Side on is more difficult, requires a power stroke to get on the wave, and a well driftin kite once you're on it. Side off is easier, but more risk.

Then, get on your preferred stance before getting on the wave. You're always better on your preferred stance, and getting on the wave is the difficult part.

Third, make sure you have a fast board for mush. Slow board will not fit your bill, however hard you push it.

Hope that helps,

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Re: New member question.

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 am

Howdy Mick,

Welcome to LTS!

Tungsten gave you some great pointers, and he always gives such great answers it is hard to follow him up. :D

There is no right or wrong way to get into a wave, but it is all about timing. In the few seconds you have to get on a wave there is a lot going on. For instance, are you even in the right section of the wave to start? Where is your kite? What stance are you in before you start? Etc. Here are my thoughts to ponder...

Coming from South FL. I am an expert with in small mushy waves. These waves generally don't break a long way you have to find the right section to ride well before it peaks so that you can get some riding. Personally I tend to ride a lot more in regular stance towards the beach and setting up vs. riding out toe-side and hitting them on the way out. Also, if you are in a spot that has wave etiquette it is pretty rude to cut off someone that might have been lining up a wave while riding in. That just depends on your spot and how many people are riding at the time.

As I come in and the water gets more shallow you should start looking behind you to see what swell or wind chop is building up. Ride slowly! I see so many people that race in and miss a nice set. Take your time when the waves start to stand up, bring your kite a bit higher up so that it is easier to look around. This will generally also allow you to get upwind more easily, which is always desirable when wave kiting. You want to find a section of the wave that has a nice amount of peak behind you and some more downwind of you. By starting out riding at the right spot you are much more likely to get a nice smack or two vs. starting on the tail end of a mushy piece. Once you are on the wave you are going to ride drop your kite down a bit to build some speed and do a bottom turn (gybe). Get some power from your kite and prepare to hit the wave toeside, or frontside whatever you want to call it. Timing on your bottom turn is critical, and every wave is different. This is a feel thing, and also varies by spot, wave type, board you are using, kite, etc. As you approach the wave face you should be thinking about where you are going to smack it. If the lip is really critical I like to get on the back of my board with my back foot all the way on the end of kickpad (the raised section) and really drive off with the power of the lip giving you a nice bit of push. If it is not as critical you can also do a nice turn and prepare for another hit. You cannot underestimate the position of your kite when doing all this, and riding strapless it is even more important to know where you kite is while this is happening. If your kite is in the wrong spot you can sink, be going too slow, or fall off all together. None of these results are good for style points. :wink: For instance,this past Friday I was riding my 12m Cabrinha Switchblade, obviously a bigger kite and needs more time to turn. Thus, you have to send your kite in preparation for a turn off the lip so that the power of your kite works in conjunction with the power of the wave. When done properly you should get a nice spray off the top of the wave, and also be driving down the face with good speed in preparation for your next turn up the face. That being said, if I was on the same wave with my 9m Drifter I would not have had to anticipate as much because this kite is much quicker to respond. Simple point is adjust for the size and style of kite you are using and remember if you send it too soon or hard with your back hand it will pull you out too early, again drop in style points. Hehe.

To ride well strapless in waves there is a lot going on. Just making it out through the break is an achievement! It is important to understand your kite and surfboard well. Rig for the right conditions. Do not go out on the edge of being lit on your kite's wind range and expect to get on a wave and be able to ride it well. Remember if you are lit on flat water when you get on a wave you have the power of the kite and the wave, which is a bad combo when trying to ride a wave well with style and power. Also, like Tungsten said, get a board that is right for your conditions. Whoever the best guy is on your beach go talk to him and get his opinion. Test drive other guys' boards on the beach. If you have a local shaper talk to him. The right board can make a huge difference, and the wrong board can be plain frustrating. My recommendation for small mushy waves is the Cabrinha 5' 6" Skillet, which is ideal for ankle biters to a bit overhead, and super fun for tricks & airs.

The last point I will make is practice, practice and practice. No two waves are ever the same, which is what make wave kiting constantly challenging. In wave kiting sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you get hammered - that is what keeps me coming back every time being just as excited as the first day I kited back in 2001! When everything is right and you line up a wave perfectly it is one of the best feelings you will ever have, and feel free to let out a "woot" on the water! Don't get discouraged, even after all the years I have been kiting I still screw up a wave all the time - it happens! Just enjoy being out there, and getting to do something that very few people on this planet will ever get to enjoy.

Hope that helps as well! If you have other questions please feel free to follow up!

Keep Ripping!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard