Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

which one to complete my drifter 2013 9m?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

which one to complete my drifter 2013 9m?

Postby mico » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 pm

hi guys!
time to complete my 9 drifter, love it but i have to move in another region in south of france, where waves could be very high and strong (shorebreak, strong currents, ....) but with mid wind, 15-35 knots max, 15-25 rather (perfect for my 9)

i'm riding only my surfboard strapless
how work the drifter 5.5? on the cabrinha website, it seems perfect to complete my 9 in the low range but, 5.5 is basically for very high winds so....
and how work the drifter 7 too (windrange, specially high range)?

to complete my 9 in the other way, i think it will be a vector 11 or sb 11, have you any opinion in this 2 kites? i don't like the drifter 11m....

thanks for answer!! :wink:
mico
Grom

Share |

Re: which one to complete my drifter 2013 9m?

Postby Lonny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Hey Mico,

15 - 35 is a very wide wind range, and it would be tough to find any kite that is going to work well in super gusty conditions. You are either going to suffer on the low end or the high end of the range. My quiver consists of all 2013 models. A 12 Switchblade, 9 Drifter and a 7 Drifter and needless to say I only ride strapless. I have had no problems using my 7 Drifter in 20 - 35 knots, but if it drops below a solid 20 you are really going to suffer with the 7. The Drifter is the best kite Cabrinha has ever produced for strapless riding in surf, but it really likes steadier, side to side-off winds and does not get upwind as well as some other styles of kites. I would say go with the 7 and not the 5.5 especially if you are dealing with strong currents.

As far as the Vector or the Switchblade goes, I would recommend the Switchblade 12 vs. 11 for a 2013 model. If you are getting a 2012 SB then the 11. Keep in mind the new Switchblade is a different animal. It feels different in your hands, has less bar pressure, and rider feedback. It definitely has a snappier turn, but the low end has suffered. Thus I would recommend the 12 vs. the 11. The 2013 model performs better in waves than any previous model and does not tend to pull you away from spots as much as the older ones did. Also you do not need to anticipate your next move as much as with the old SB in surf. In my experience I find the Switchblade suits my style better than the Vector.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have other questions. Would love to hear what you finally decided, and your feedback so others can learn from your decision.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 am

I don't know of any kite, LEI or foil or ARC, that does well strapless in 15-35kn.15-30 yes, 18-35 yes, but 15-35? If you find one, tell me, I'll buy it :D

Sure in survival mode you can ride out a 35kn gust, or work a kite like a madman in a 15kn lull losing ground, but that's not what I would call "within the windrange."
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby mico » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:52 pm

hey, this is what i want to say : "i have a 9 drifter 2013 and i want a another kite. both have to work for 15-35 knots. so, how works the 5.5?". is it better for yo guys ? :lol:
mico
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard