Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

220lbs (100kg) Rider kite skim

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

220lbs (100kg) Rider kite skim

Postby Matt V » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 am

Thinking of ditching the "Twinies" and going all directional. Have a 2012 North "Whip" (5'-8") that I ride primarily with straps. But it just does not do as well in light wind as my Cabrinha "Plasma" twintip with the crappy wind we have in the Midwest (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota). My "Whip" also has those scary big fins to get trashed when I am riding it on the lake on the shallow shore break. The lake is all sand bottom with no rocks, but I still get nervous when I am following the breaker from 18 inches of water to 6 inches of water next to the shore. So I want a skim for that. Not really all about upwind but rather riding the lake beach breaker mush. But maybe I could replace the "Plasma" twinie with this.

I was leaning toward getting a North "Skimfish" but now I am thinking about going with the Zap "Comp Carbon XL" or "Comp E-glass XL"

Any advice for a guy weighing in at 220lbs?
Matt V
Grom

Share |

Re: 220lbs (100kg) Rider kite skim

Postby Lonny » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Hey Matt,

Welcome to LTS. Thank you for joining us here and posting your question. Sorry I could not get back to you sooner. Busy week at work. I am pretty familiar with the Plasma, and it is a pretty decent light wind board. With a big skim you really won't increase your low end by much more vs. a Plasma. Maybe by a bit, but not by much. Generally the guys that are riding the deck type boards are doing fine when I am going good on my skimmy. However, what you will experience is a completely different style of riding, which may or may not appeal to you. Have you tried a skim yet? If so, did you enjoy it? Generally most times I have found that a person will know within 15 minutes if they like riding on a skim or not. It is really not for everyone - even though I think everyone should have a skim in their quiver. You should also know that I have not owned a twin tip in over 5 years so I am a bit biased, but heck, that is probably the type of answer you expected to get here - it is Lose The Straps after all!! :lol:

As far as the board goes, I would not recommend a carbon board, and especially to start your skim career. They a more expensive and very stiff. They are fine in certain applications, but I would definitely not recommend starting with one. Ideally for your size you should get something around 58" x 20.75" with some thickness to it. It would be awesome if you could find a few guys that have a skim and give theirs a go first with a solid 15-20 minute session so you can get a feel on a couple different boards.

I hope that helps, but please do let me know some other questions you may have and I would be happy to lend a hand in anyway I can.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Matt V » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:43 am

Not really into the light wind thing other than getting upwind to ride a shoreline back downwind. My idea is to get shallower than my directional, a 5'-8" 2012 North "Whip", can go. Riding the Nebraska lake mush shore break is my primary goal. Maybe even hit the NW Oregon coast in the same situation with a bit bigger mush.

I am thinking of going with a Slotstik Pro Vac S-Glass in XXL. It looks like it fills the size you have recommended. They say that the Slotstik's are hard to get used to since they are narrow compared to a Vic XXL.

Is narrow better for kiting with a skim if I want it to cut back really fast?

Where can I actually find a Vic XXL (even their website only goes up to XL when you try to put one in your shopping cart)?

Thanks for putting up this forum.
Matt V
Grom

Share |

Postby brass » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:20 am

First off what Lonny says about the Carbon board I have to agree with completely. Although I only rode a carbon skim once I much prefer my Victoria Ultra and Factor boards.

As for the XXL board, I would call Victoria directly. They make many of their models to order, which is kinda cool. I'm guessing they don't stock a lot of XXL boards but will make you one. I have an Ultra that is better in waves and a Factor (not carbon) for flat water.

Git some
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Matt V » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:17 am

Got it! at least I think.....

Still leaning toward a Slotstik Provac XXl in S-glass. I am thinking that it will be a "Do All" board, though with it's narrow width, It may over lap my 5'-8"North Whip a bit.

This is kind of stupid sounding, but the primary use of this board will be flat waves????? By that I mean lake shore break mush with nothing ever over 18" and most of the waves being 3"-6" over 8" of water or less. I know you can ride a skimmy in that, but can you play around with those micro waves and what equip is best for that if that is my main focus?

Would the additional width of a Vic be beneficial in this context or will the narrower Slotstik work out for this?

Thanks for your help and I am happy the lack of funds has allowed me some time to mull this purchase over and get some great advice from you guys before being able to buy.

UPDATE 7/4/12: Ordered the Slotstik then 1 day later could not pass up the deal on the LF Twin-Skim they have on Kiteboarding.com. I also scored some cheap deck pads and tail pads ($10.99ea) there too. Can't wait!
Matt V
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy