Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

skimbord construction

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

skimbord construction

Postby Norm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:10 am

Hi all, im new to the forum and am going to buy my first skim shortly, and am looking for some advice regarding the type of construction that would be suitable for my intended use. Firstly i live in Perth west oz and am limited to ( by way of convenience ) Victoria boards but understand that is by no means a drawback, given their fine reputation .Secondly not from "surfer" background, just ride a twinny but looking to kite waves in more tradition style using a skimboard in mushy shore breaks with more choppy conditions that flatwater. Given that there is many build combinations for these boards some input from experienced riders would be much appreciated.
Regards from oz
Norm
Norm
Grom

Share |

Re: skimbord construction

Postby tungsten » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi Norm,

welcome to true kiting :D

A good start to get an idea of what works is here

http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=517&sid=b777799cdf75e22696a6c533faf503df
and here
http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157&sid=b777799cdf75e22696a6c533faf503df

In terms of construction (not shape, see above), sturdy is good for kite abuse. Epoxy allows to make a light & sturdy board, ply wood works all the same but has more weight to it. There's infinite ways to make a skim... horses for courses I'd say. As you're starting off, those details are not too important. Grab any second hand sturdy skim in the above mentioned size, rocker (bit more for waves, bit less for flats) and thickness (depending on your weight), and shred. If you specialize in flat water trickery, lighter is better, for strong wind, a bit more weight is better... but first you have to find out what you like best in terms of riding. Mid rocker mid weight mid thickness would be a good starter.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Norm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:17 am

Thanks Tungsten for your reply, unfortunately am unable to source second-hand skim, so have to by new hence my inquiry.
Given the material that you referred to will probably take a punt on a Victoria plane wrap ex
Cheers, Norm
Norm
Grom

Share |

Postby Norm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 am

hey all, purchased a Victoria Ex Wrap epoxy a little while ago and decided to match it up to a10m Reo :D and got to pop the cherry on both today and have to say big creds to all you skim riders. At first I thought "gee am i ever going to get this dialed in?? " cause what a slippery little sucker this board is, given that this is my first experience with a skim....this awesome forum gave me the confidence to give it a go! Well after probably 10 minutes of floundering around in the shallows with side on winds i managed bout 20 metres before falling off the back end but that 20 metres got me soooo hooked im going to lock the twinnies up and throw away the key !!
cheers from oz
Norm
ps wont be long before i'll post a video of me "ripping on my skimmy"
Norm
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Norm wrote: ps wont be long before i'll post a video of me "ripping on my skimmy"

Welcome to LTS Norm. Can't wait to see your footy. Lots of fun ahead for you. :D
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy