Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Getting my first skim

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Getting my first skim

Postby ralfiboy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Right, now since boots are often a little bit too power hungry, and straps is not an option, i have decided to get myself a skim for light wind fun. I don't know anything about skims really, or even used one for that matter, so i would be glad if someone here could give me some advice.

The spots i ride has it all, chop, waves or flat water. Some has deep water, some shallow. What I'm going to be buying needs to be versatile, and of course be able to go upwind in lighter winds. I will mostly use the skim when the wind is under 14 knots. I weigh 72kg(158lbs) and I'm 175 cm (5`8) if that has any relevance. I don't imagine myself doing much wave surfing in the traditional way, rather just cruising around and being creative. I really have no idea though, considering i have no experience with a skim and I don't really know whats fun to do.

Thanks for any help! It will be appreciated. Please tell me if there is anything else you need to know so you guys can give me the proper help.
ralfiboy
Grom

Share |

Re: Getting my first skim

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Hey Ralfiboy,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for posting your question and joining us here.

Everything you need to get started is in this link:
LTS Skimboard FAQS

After reviewing that is there are still other questions you have please post them. Looking forward to hearing more about your kite skimming adventures! Lots of fun ahead for you when boots are not an option, and maybe even some when they are! :D
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby ralfiboy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

This was a bit embarrasing. Found that thread the second after i posted this one and read through it.

Think i found my answer, the Phase5 Prop seems like the perfect board for me. The only problem i have with it is the price, but i guess it has a great resale value as well. I got to admit i didnt expect to pay that much for a skim, but oh well. It's nice that it has pads as well, so I don't have to worry about that. I guess i could take it out wakesurfing also, which is nice.

Thanks for providing me with the link. This is a great forum by the way, will read a bit more tomorrow and post here if I'm having any questions.
ralfiboy
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:24 pm

ralfiboy wrote:This was a bit embarrasing. Found that thread the second after i posted this one and read through it.

No worries. There are a lot of posts to read through! Thanks for your kind words about LTS. A lot of good people have contributed to share their passion here. Glad you are here to share the stoke!

Now as far as the price goes on a Phase 5, see if you can find something used. That is the best way to go to start. Anything around 52 x 20" will work. Zap Large Pros are readily available and are usually less in price. You can often find one used for $100 - $200. My buddy just got one for $50! If you cannot find anything locally check out forums and see what is around. A little shopping and you might be surprised what you find.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby ralfiboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 am

I would do that, but the skim scene in Norway is basically non-existant, I didn't even find a shop dealing other skims than the kite specific, and they were really expensive. I've ordered used from the states before, and I don't really want to that again, trying to get a hold of a dude which is halfway across the world is not easy.

I did however find a swedish site dealing zap, found the pro large for about 325, which is more than okay really. This worked out better than i expected! Thanks for the help, now I'm stoked to try out my skimboard when it arrives in the mail in a few days.
ralfiboy
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am

Awesome! That sounds good. Let us know how you like it, and post some pics or video when you feel like it. Also, If you would like like writing a review of your new board that is also always good information for a lot of other people out there. Have fun with your new toy! 8)

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby ralfiboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

Oh, and one more question, what do you think about the Zaplix traction pads? Tried to search the forum, nothing comes up. Is that a bad thing, or?

Also, does just an arch bar provide the nescessary grip for the front foot or would you want more grip area?
ralfiboy
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 pm

ralfiboy wrote:Oh, and one more question, what do you think about the Zaplix traction pads? Tried to search the forum, nothing comes up. Is that a bad thing, or?

Also, does just an arch bar provide the nescessary grip for the front foot or would you want more grip area?

I have not tried the Zaplix traction pads, but they look very similar to what ZAP puts on their boards out of the factory except even better with the adjustable arch bar in the back. The key when using a skim with a pad vs. wax is to make sure it is a single density pad. If it is too thick you lose the feel of the board and that is not a good thing. Personally I like something grippy, but soft enough to cushion your landings and built for comfy riding. You can see what I use on my board here:
Lonny's ZAP Custom

As far as the front pad goes, it is really personal taste. I like a full pad, but some guys like one arch bar, some a few arch bars, and some just wax. You are going to have to experiment and see what suits your riding style. There is no right or wrong, only what makes you feel good when your out ripping it up.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby ralfiboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Now I've ordered the board, with back pad, arch and i'll wax the rest at first. Can't wait to get out there and test it. I'll write what i think when I have tried it.

Thanks for all the helping out! I had no idea for what to look for in a skim before this, and now it seems like i have made the right choice surprisingly. I'll be sure to reccomend this forum to others!
ralfiboy
Grom

Share |

Postby ralfiboy » Sun May 13, 2012 11:47 am

All right, now I've finally got a couple of sessions. One session was underpowered on my 8 switchblade, and the other session was in super gusty winds that varied from powered to immensely overpowered. Keep in mind that i had never ridden anything strapless before, so i needed to learn the basics.

First session i learned how to waterstart, and got a feel for how the board worked in lighter winds. This was probably around 12 kts on my 8, and the board still went upwind like a champ. Was not a long session since the wind faded, but i thought it was real fun. I also didnt have time to wax it, so i found out that just having one arch bar and no wax isnt enough.

Next session was in heavy chop and winds that was varied from 16 to 24 kts, aka really gusty. I was still on my 8. I was really surprised how well the board held down power. I could just turn it really hard upwind and i would be fine. The board also handled chop really well. I was cruising over chop that i would hate on a flat TT.

All in all, im really stoked to continue riding a skim. Riding without straps is a really fun challenge, and it gives a lot of freedom. Just something easy like learning to gybe is super fun. It's like starting to kite all over again. I cant wait to try riding waves with this board.
ralfiboy
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy