Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Kite Power

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Kite Power

Postby abhthree » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey LTS,

This is my first post, but I have been keeping track of the site for about a year. I have been riding a surfboard, strapless of course, for the past two years here in Michigan. This week I received a brand new Roush Morpheus, and look forward to starting to ride it.

How much kite power do you recommend for the skimboard? I know the skim (without fins) will feel a little slippery at first, but would you size your kite the same as I size to ride with a surfboard? Is this a good practice?

I have moved to the delta kites to be able to generate more torque and power at the low end.

I attached a picture of my new sweet ride.

Thanks for the help,

Arnot
skimboard.jpg
ABH3_Skimboard
skimboard.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 31346 times
abhthree
Grom

Share |

Re: Kite Power

Postby Slyde » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:53 am

sweet lookin ride. Go with one kite size smaller than for your surfboard, a skim rides faster, but you will find that it takes a while to get used to using the rail for grip as opposed to the fins of a surfboard. Some days I ride the same kite between the 2 boards. Just depends on the conditions. Sometimes the tide is wrong for a surfboard so just swap to a skim and have a blast in the shorewash.
BTW, how long did it take to get Eric to make you that baby. I've been waiting on a Morpheus almost 4 months now!!!
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Hey Arnot,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for posting the pic of your new board! Looks like a sweet ride, and should be tons of fun on the big lake of Michigan this summer.

As far as kite size goes, I am always running a kite size smaller than guys on TT unless it's very light (8 - 13 mph). I usually use the same size kite for my surfboard or skim, but just dependent on the conditions or what I feel like riding at that time. There should be no need to go smaller than your strapless surfboard. If you were dialed on your surfboard then you should be dialed on the skim.

Be sure to post any more questions that you may have.

Lonny
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby abhthree » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys. That's what I figured.

Slyde, it took a while, I ordered in end of November thinking that might be the case. But then it just showed up and made my day. I haven't ridden it yet, but have only read great things about his boards.
abhthree
Grom

Share |

Postby Kaito » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm

My vote's for mid/low aspect kites with steady power and silly stability.

I ordered my Roush Custom earlier this month, and hope I'm not wait'n a couple/few months for it!
If so, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait..
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Yann » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Slyde wrote:BTW, how long did it take to get Eric to make you that baby. I've been waiting on a Morpheus almost 4 months now!!!
Wow that was fast. It took him 5 months and numerous emails to make mine :D

Same kite size for surfboards and skim. I always have at least a quick session on the skim in between.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Kaito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:47 pm

I've gone back/forth w/Eric with the emails already, but it sounds like I might be waiting till the fall winds to see the final product...

Yann - could you please post a pic of your board? Maybe some specs, and some input on how you like it? Domo arigato!

Once I get my custom from Roush, I'll have two skims as my main boards. Rasta for flat water/light winds, and custom for high winds, chop/waves.

K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy