Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

2nd hand UK skimboard wanted

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

2nd hand UK skimboard wanted

Postby mckennas » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:46 am

Anyone have too many toys or upgrading to latest models and want to offload? I am looking for a board to use in light winds so needs to be pretty flat with minimal tail rocker. 52" or more by 20" or more and decent construction although condition is not so important (don't mind patching things). From what I see, something like a Zap, Exile or Victoria would be the ticket.

Sean
mckennas
Grom

Share |

Re: 2nd hand UK skimboard wanted

Postby mattv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:22 am

You might try making your own. I ride 2 home made skims, a Roush Custom, and a regular surf board. You can make your own skim board for approx. 30-40 USD and about 2 days of work. I live in Japan so my materials are more expensive. My first homemade board was done with 11mm ply but I found some 8.5mm ply that works much better and is much lighter.

You can see the boards here. http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=482
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby mckennas » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have and am considering making one as I have made around 20 kiteboards and ride my own twintips (I am not good but I like to think my boards are :) )

It is why I said that whatever it is needs to be good construction as I fully realise the difference it makes. If I was to make one it would have to technically be the match of a top constructor. However, to make building a skimboard with high grade materials sensible on a cost front I need to make 3 and split the cost. Also, alhough I have a pretty good idea of what I want it is without doubt that the major manufacurer shapes are better than I would achive on my first go!
mckennas
Grom

Share |

Postby mattv » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 am

I think it depends on what you want to do with the board. Where I ride there are a lot of rocks, really nasty reef rocks, that will tear up a normal skim board. When the tide is lower I ride my homemade wood boards so as not to damage the Roush. The wood works great for flat water riding. Once the waves appear the wood is not as good as the Roush.
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby mckennas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for the help. What you say is very interesting but there are no rocks here. By the way, your boards look really nice.
mckennas
Grom

Share |

Postby mckennas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:00 am

Found a Zap Comp Pro. Can't wait. Be interesting to see the difference between it and my previous Cyclone finned one.
mckennas
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy