Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

aloha loaf with fins

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

aloha loaf with fins

Postby patrickrynne » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok ok, before I get chastised for putting them on, know that I did go out at first without them. There was too much current to get back in the lineup on 1 tack and I wanted more drive down the line in the waves, so I started playing with fins. The Bonzer setup that comes with the board was pretty much useless....similar to the Nobile skim....big enough fins to annoy you, too small to get any real teeth in the wave.

Threw in a pair of typical thrusters, and it felt solid. Decent upwind angle, nice drive in the waves, overall a really nice add-on for an already solid skim. Not convinced the fin boxes will stand the test of time though.

probably the best overall travel board I have found so far....can do everything decently well.

-patrick
Attachments
Photo on 2010-12-29 at 19.04.jpg
Photo on 2010-12-29 at 19.04.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 20077 times
Photo on 2010-12-29 at 19.03.jpg
Photo on 2010-12-29 at 19.03.jpg (108.34 KiB) Viewed 20077 times
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: aloha loaf with fins

Postby ryan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:20 am

Patrick,

I just got an Aloha Loaf myself. First skim for me as I have left the straps back at home since i arrived 1.5 years ago here on the east coast of oz. I mostly ride a surfboard but the skim looked so fun for light wind days with little swell.

I have been out only once and I was on my 7m so I went back to my surfboard after 30 min.

The loaf looks to be fun, have not tried the fins yet but I would recommend removing those thrusters you stuck in there. I think your right, the boxes wont last with the torque you can put on them with those big fins.

looking forward to skimming in the future.

cheers,
ryan
Grom

Share |

Re: aloha loaf with fins

Postby sundogchicky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 pm

i had a heart attack when i saw those brakes oops i mean fins you added to your board. :shock:
Then i read your post and i feel much better about them given how much you like them and the feedback you get from them. im sure i would really enjoy that setup and its benefits . Bravo!!!
plus you can always take them off :wink:
one of my twins fins fell off and i worried about it being unbalanced so i took them all off and i like it much better now that its a "twinskim"
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy