Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

ZAP Custom Kite Skim

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Re: ZAP Custom Kite Skim

Postby Lonny » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 am

sflinux wrote:Hi Lonny,
I just wanted to give you an update on my impressions with the Zap pro large. My first skimboard was a Windwing skimboard which is narrower and shorter than the Zap Pro large. When I first rode the Zap pro large I was honestly underwhelmed. But since then I've had about 6 sessions, and I find I like the board the more I ride it. It is an easier ride than the Windwing skimboard due to the bigger surface area, which is pushing me to learn new tricks. The rails and rocker all feel good. The build quality also feels good to me, whereas the Airush Wakeskate is very fragile with respect to chips and dings. Thanks for the Zap Pro recommendation Lonny, I'm stoked, it was definitely worth the wait. I like the movie of the kiteless skimboarder on your blog, very inspiring. Your custom board sounds sweet, glad you like it.

Hey Sflinux,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and update us here. You made my day! :D The fact that your are stoked is awesome! And the build quality for the Zap's are amazing. They are extremely tough. Enjoy, and lets have some video of you soon ripping it up?! :idea: Thanks for also being a long time member of LTS! Can you believe you joined over 4 years ago?

Isn't that video retarded? In case you guys don't know what Sflinux is talking about watch this. Your jaw will drop.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby sflinux » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Lonny,
What brand of traction pads do you use on your skimboards, they look sweet? The pads on your new board look identical to the ones on your phase5. I'm ready to make the upgrade from wax to traction pads. I want some padding for the landings. I've been working on getting some footage, my family actually got me a GoPro Hero2 for Father's Day. I've been trying to rig an over the shoulder pov mount for it, that is supported by a backpack. I like the pov of Top Hat's strapless videos (Search Youtube: "tophatrules").

I've been building a solid wood skimboard (version #2), similar to the Zap Pro large planshape, but with a flat rocker (for light wind). I'm going to have to add the fish shape that Top Hat rides to my board build list, looks fun.
Any update on the ride of your new board?
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 pm

sflinux wrote:Hi Lonny,
What brand of traction pads do you use on your skimboards, they look sweet? The pads on your new board look identical to the ones on your phase5.

Hey sflinux,

Always good to hear from you brother! Hope all is well. They pads on my custom Zap are stock pads that they sell from ZAP. I am sure if you email them they can put you in touch with a place to buy them. They are super comfy, and the perfect density to really get a good feel for the board without losing touch, if that makes sense. :?

Thanks for posting that Top Hat video. I love that guy, and still rocking a pulley bar set up set! That board does look freaking cool! I would love to try it. If you make one please post the details of the construction and how you did it. It would be great to share your build with everyone here. Tungsten is always making some amazing boards, and I am sure he would love to see your process as well.

As far as my board goes, no complaints. I love it so much, and have had no need to even consider a new design since I got it! I am in the middle of windless Summer here so no real updates. Although we do get some wind last Tuesday which was super nice. Be well and looking forward to hearing more from you soon!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Previous

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy