Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Hey Guys

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Hey Guys

Postby Big Ian » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Lonny todd etc..

Congrats on a great site! Kiteboarding certainly needs a site dedicated to strapless riding; may that be on a skimboard, wakes skate, or surfboard. I will be sure to lurk around this forum as I have just had knee surgery and it is time to recuperate. Best of luck and keep up the good work. I found some killer stuff relating to sliders so check this video out...

or this one...

I think the best bet will be a skimmer that is a mix of a wakeskate with grab rails and a kick tail and nose that is symmetrical with a tough grinding material on bottom. What do you guys think?

Lose the straps or ride bindings :lol:
- Ian McKeown
Big Ian
Grom

Share |

Re: Hey Guys

Postby Lonny » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:21 am

Yo Big Ian,

Welcome to lose the straps brother! Thanks for the positive feedback. We already have a good core group on here and its growing daily. With more people on like yourself it will be a great place for us to elighten our fellow kiters to think beyond what is obvious.

Sorry to hear about your knee :cry: Did you finish it off @ the triple S? Hey, on the positive side at least its Summer and its a good time to heal up for next season.

Cool skimmer vids. I want to build a small slider like that for Matheson. A couple weeks ago these guy brought one out and I must have hit it 100 times with Todd. It was a lot of fun. It was pretty high tide so I didnt have to ollie higher than a foot so it was pretty easy to get on. Although, my board is completely trashed now. I did more damage in that afternoon than all the riding I did on it in the last 3 years!

I would agree with you that If you are going to hit sliders I think it definitely needs some kind of extra lay-up, or just know that you need one board for that and its going to get trashed. Honestly, I didn't really even notice the difference in the way it rode. Still rode great, but just looks beaten. I want to make a mini-skim kicker and a PVC slider like the one in that video you posted. Something portable that is easy to carry out, and can be adjusted to the tide. I know you have some ideas. We should plan it out, build it and post it here so other people can build it as well. What do you think?

As far as the kick tail and grab rails those are a must. I am trying to learn a new trick now and I really need a grab rail. However, I am not cray about a symmetrical outline or egg shaped skim board. All the ones I have tried are slowerer and do not cut through the water as well as a traditional outline. I think the traditional outline with a pin tail is the best outline with a kite.

P.S. I modified your post a little so the vids could be embedded vs. a link.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Todd » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Yo Ian. Nice vids. I wouldn't mind riding an oversizes twin tip with grip tape, .5" fins, and grab rails. Maybe Garry and I can whip somthing up at Shire Shapes in the next few weeks.

Todd
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby jermy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Wow, nice videos. That's something that I've never thought of before... it's always good to see something so new and people already pretty good at it. I really hope the skaters hit this part of the sport up like how the surfers have lately. Things could get really interesting.
jermy
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy