Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

What next?

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

What next?

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 am

Hey all!!

Thought id join this forum as ive been attempting to skim with my kite the last year. Ive finally become kinda confident riding the board and managing to so gybes/tacks pritty easy (most of the time) i have a nobile skim.

I was wondering whats the next trick people attempt?

Something that looks kinda cool :mrgreen:
Dan
Grom

Share |

Re: What next?

Postby Lonny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 am

Hi Dan,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thank you for joining.

Once you get confident on the skim you should start with shuvits, ollies, and surface handle-passes. These are the building blocks for developing harder tricks. Plus a nice shuvit will always look cool. 8) If it helps to focus on just one thing do that. Any one of those 3 will start to develop some cool tricks for you.

Also check out this post, with a lot of good information:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Additionally we have a lot of videos on the site. You might want to watch a few for some inspiration:
viewtopic.php?f=0&t=220
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63
viewforum.php?f=16

Hope all this helps. There are a lot of very friendly, good riders here. Do not worry about asking any questions we are happy to help you out.

Lonny
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:16 pm

all your other boards will now collect dust. you will now get a bit jealous if a riding buddy shows up with a skim since your having soo much fun .but youll get over it when they trade it for their other board when the wind picks up or theyve given up after a few super sheeted squat slides from hell. :shock:
your surfboard sponsor will drop you cuz you only ride that stupid lil thing you musta got at Toys R Us.
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 pm

ooh you meant tricks...ungrabbed kiteloops and downloops.... dreadys tryin to kill us....
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Dready » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:04 am

SDC....im really not trying to kill any one, just my self may be doing stupid stuff.

but my mission is to push this branch of the sport, im not a kitesurfer or kiteboader im a kite skimmer im what better way to prove it that pushing the bar as high as we can. you are not doing bad my friend im actully about to start your fan club (jajaja)

talking about stupid tricks if somebody is trying high rail slides remember to always olie from down wind from it even that this is harder to get on it that if you do it from the front, or build and entrance to it.

i crack a rib on my last session trying to slide a fishig boat, i end up inside of the boat siting half way under a bench....

after a few weeks i will be ready to try it againg, for now just wave riding untill i get my ribs on position.... :(

two weeks max :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dready
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:00 am

inside the boat, under the bench? ok, your just trying to kill yourself then. insane... your definatley pushing kiting in a legit way..... impressively scary :shock:
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Yann » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:31 am

Dready wrote:SDC....im really not trying to kill any one, just my self may be doing stupid stuff.

but my mission is to push this branch of the sport, im not a kitesurfer or kiteboader im a kite skimmer im what better way to prove it that pushing the bar as high as we can. you are not doing bad my friend im actully about to start your fan club (jajaja)

talking about stupid tricks if somebody is trying high rail slides remember to always olie from down wind from it even that this is harder to get on it that if you do it from the front, or build and entrance to it.

i crack a rib on my last session trying to slide a fishig boat, i end up inside of the boat siting half way under a bench....

after a few weeks i will be ready to try it againg, for now just wave riding untill i get my ribs on position.... :(

two weeks max :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ouch! I've broken many bones in my body but the rib was by far the most painful! Luckily it heals pretty fast. When I broke mine kitesurfing i was going to Indonesia in 3 weeks for surfing. The bone was completely off and poking out pretty bad under the skin. Just the thought of lying on my ribs paddling made me cry like a baby :evil: 3 weeks later to the day I was out in Indo surfing with just a bit of styrofoam on my chest bone to ease of the weight on the broken rib. A couple of days later I could lose the styrofoam and my flexibility was almost back to normal and the injury didn't really affect my surfing at all. Once back in Sweden a hybrid seat/waist harness (Ocean Rodeo Session Harness) helped to keep the harness away from the broken rib.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Todd » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 am

What's next for me is back rolls and front rolls. I can do kiteloops with grabs and the "jesus walk" now. Although I have to say the jesus walk is way harder on the skim than on my surfboard. I haven't kited in five weeks because of the Monsoon, but I meditate in an alternate universe where there is wind, I am younger, and I still learn new things. Oh - I am also thinking of mounting some straps oriented in the wrong direction on my skim just to confuse people (I would never break "the code" and use them). These are the type of insane things you dream of when you can't kite.
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby owenbre » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:32 am

Todd wrote:These are the type of insane things you dream of when you can't kite.

A severe lull is what pushed me into the shed to make my skim in the first place :D ..... it can be good for something ;)
owenbre
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy