Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Postby sepkb » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Hey guys,

I also posted on the surfboard forum about getting a board, but basically I want to get into strapless riding for fun and for light wind days as well. I've tried a few skimmies before while kiting, but I have no clue which size, brand, or shape to buy. I kite on the Great Lakes so we get some mushy waves too, but I want to get into learning how to do tricks on a skimmy. I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs, but since I'm 17 years old I don't know if I'm going to grow any more or not. I've been eyeballing this board at a local shop, and it comes in a 48" size:

http://www.silentsports.com/store/produ ... 8%22-SKIM/

Also, I can't spend too much right now since my parents are paying a lot for other sports and want me to finance my own kiting (basically, they're not paying a cent). I would appreciate it if you guys could make some board recommendations, and maybe even what shape and length I should buy in case I see other boards within my price range. Cheaper is better for now.

Thanks a lot,

Sep :D
sepkb
Grom

Share |

Re: newbie

Postby Lonny » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Hey Sepkb,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thanks for joining and glad you found us.

I just finished a nice skim session this morning! :D Based on your post in the surf forum you weigh about 10lbs more than me, and are around the same height. Since you are pretty close to me in size I would probably recommend something similar to what I ride, especially if you are going specifically for the lower wind ranges. You could get away with a smaller board in heavier air, but in light wind you are going to need some length and width. I do not think that that 48" Roush is going to work very well. The price is nice, but 48" and wood is going to tough for light wind. Your link to the surf shop didn't post the width or other dimensions either, which is kind of important. The Morpius or Megaloaf would probably be better choices, although I have not ridden them before, but have heard good feedback on them. However, the price is a lot more and based on you financing your own skimmer I understand the cashflow issues.

My advice to you would be to see if you can find someone selling a used skim or wake surfer around these dimensions - 54" x 20.5". It does not need to be a kite specific manufacturer. For instance there are a ton of ZAP boards to be had for cheap. My buddy got one for $5 at a garage sale last weekend, and they work very well for kiting. If you can find a Phase 5 Prop, which is my board you will be golden. Before you make the final purchase or if you want to run it by me let me know and I would be happy to give you my feedback.

Later,
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Hiero Blend » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Hey Sepkb,

I got that same board from SS for similar reasons. Its a durable board, but I find to small for me (I am 190) and also use it for the great lakes by Kingston.
I would go with what ever Lonny recommends.

On a side note, I tried using it for Bungee Skiming, and found way too small, so I am also on the search for a new skim. Let me know if you find some sweet deals :D
Hiero Blend
Grom

Share |

Postby Slyde » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:42 am

Have a look at Skimonline.com. They have a buy/sell area with some good skims at times and often good prices and you can haggle abit. Go for the biggest skim you can get. I bought a cracker cabal Roush Fire from there once (sadly now in board heaven).

Slyde
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby sepkb » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the recommendations Lonny and Slyde (haha Bonny and Clyde; sorry, I had to :P ). Hiero, I think I may wait for a bit and then buy that one if nothing comes around. If anything, I'll just ride it as a board for normal conditions so that I can get some practice time in on a skimmy, while I'm on the prowl for deals. I'm heading to the US in July so I'll see if there's any places there for the Phase 5 board (I hope there's some good places in SoCal). Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Sep :D
sepkb
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy