Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

around the world

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

around the world

Postby patrickrynne » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:35 am

ok, I am calling this thread "around the world" because when I try to do this trick (which I am sure has another more appropriate name) it feels like I am about to go around the forestay on a 49er (which I sail)....and we call this "going around the world".

anyway, I was inspired by one of Modicas youtube videos (which I reckon you all have seen) where he did this very smooth looking maneuver (link below, minute - 2:40)

Okay, so here is my first attempts at pulling off this puppy. Some things I learned...my high density skim board is tricky to "pull" along the surface since it floats so low. It is also equally difficult to grab because I have no grip tape, or wax. The south americans who built it used some green tape that has been sufficiently grippy up to this point.

Questions (jon, feel free to jump in here with some expert advice)

Entering the trick, I hold the bar with my back hand. I was trying to "straddle" the middle lines, so I wouldn't rotate the kite too much during the forward roll. However, every time I do it, I enter the trick with the kite at around 11, and come out with the kite at around 2 o'clock....reaching the edge of the window. So even if I was able to get the board back under my feet (which I didn't), the kite would be on the edge of the window around 3 o'clock. Do you do a kiteloop at the end of the trick to continue on your original tack? Seems like it would be a good place...unfortunately, it would cause a double wrap of the lines, but thats no big deal. Or do you somehow keep the kite from crossing tacks (ie-keep the kite at 11 or 12 throughout the front roll). I notice from you video that you definitely keep your back hand on the bar, so the kite must be crossing back to the other tack.

Also, I had initially went into this thinking I would just "guide" the board back with pressure on the deck...but with a skimboard, it seems more appropriate to just grab the board, and fling it back in front. On the ride home, i also realized that going in backwards (tail of board first) would be better, so I could grab the stomp pad.....ideas for next time.

-Patrick
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: around the world

Postby Lonny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Hey Patrick,

Good, good, I like the motivation. When I saw Jon's video for the first time I was motivated by that trick as well. It is impressive. I can tell you that I tried it about oh... 100 times last Summer, and only landed it once. I have sort of shelved it for now, but it is a cool trick, and would love to learn it. It requires excellent timing, kite placement, and getting the skim to your hands. I got it by doing a transition, with a kite loop. I would try to work on first consistently getting the board into your hands and work from there. Grabbing tail might help.

I sent the master, Jon a note to also see if he can get you some more tips. Shoot me an email when you are heading down to Matheson next time and we can work on it!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 pm

HAHA thanks for the kind words guys.

Okay....there is ONLY ONE WAY TO LEARN THIS TRICK!!!!!!
dont bother approaching it from another method...

-DO NOT TRY TO JUST SPIN AROUND ON YOUR HAND...it wont happen
instead, try to just simply do a hand stand.
DONT WORRY ABOUT LANDING IT OR LOOKING COOL
You do this until YOU FIND A BALANCE BETWEEN KITE PULL AND ARM STRENGTH.

please watch this video...it will show you what i mean better
http://usa.npxwetsuits.com/videogallery ... anada.html
its at 2:46 (half way through)

Once you find your "balance" then you can throw a SLIGHT spin in it....
thats it.

-Jon Modica
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby patrickrynne » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:32 pm

good stuff Jon. I hear what your saying. I think this trick may be difficult to do on the skimboard because of how low volume they are. I tried a couple (not shown in the video) where I just planted my hand down (like a handstand), and the board just went underwater and shrimped (do kiters/surfers use that term?)

So i think I am going to break the surfboard out for this one.

After that I tried to just rotate my body quickly and grab the board...but as you can see, that was a bad idea. Just like what your saying, the balance in the kite etc needs to be there first.

i'll keep cracking at it, and Lonny yes I will drop you a line next time I get down.

-Patrick
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby JonModica » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:51 pm

I agree i think a surfboard is a little easier for it!!!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy