Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Board Advice...

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Board Advice...

Postby Waggy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:56 pm

HI...

Whoo! great site, with loads of info! at last someone has put a site together for the strapless rider :D

Anybody help with the following board? any thoughts? good, bad?...all help/advice would be welcome.

I also have a boat so will be looking to use the board to wakesurf as well....

A kitesurfer...allways to be enjoyed, never given up, a lifelong commitment, comes over and above your god,partner, job, pets and cuddly toys. The wind is now your god, the sea allways your friend.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Board Advice...

Postby Lonny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:38 am

Hey Waggy,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thanks for joining, and thank you for your kind words. Glad you found us!

I would be happy to give you some feedback. Can you give me the overall dimensions of the board, how much you weigh, and the conditions you ride in (kite size, wind range, choppy water, etc)?. Overall, I am not really crazy about a finned wake skimmer as it tends to feel less like a skimboard and more like a strapless twin tip.

Let me know and I can give you some more feedback. By the way? How did you find us?
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Waggy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi Lonny...thanks for coming back to me :D

First off found your site through a current topic running on kiteforum.com about why there is not more kite skimmers and strapless riders,
also there is a very much the same sort of topic running on Flexifoil.co.uk forum, seems more people are after more information or looking to
move in a different direction with regards their kitesurfing, as is my case...i also took the liberty (hope you dont mind :wink: ) of putting a link
on my last post on the Flexi site to your site, so maybe you'll get a few more hits...spred the word :D

Ok...me? been k-surfing for about six years (how time flys?) started on a "NO DEPOWER" kick your a$$ "C" kite and have moved on owning meny kites along the way, current quiver is Sligshot Rev's (7-9-13) have nothing but good things to say about them, but then i'm a self confessed "sligslut" :oops:
So...about a year or so ago i bought a creazyfly skimmer and have had it since, the more i ride it the more i like it...BUT! it has limits and have found i'm wanting more from the board then it can deliver...

I'm your typical 75kg rider, wind range i kite in can be from 10-12 knots upto this weekend 40 plus, water conditions? well you can surf in a number of local spots with a nice six foot brake and kitesurf futher down the road with a range of wind chop to flat...guess that would be were i spend most of my kitesurfing time....where i live i can k-surf in any wind direction and any tide state (high or low) all within 35 minutes from my door (i live on an island) all year round, with only six other local riders :D

I'm very interested in the Phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon, i've email the company with regards to UK supply? so waiting on that one, but found the CWB Tsunami and thought i'd ask for any info?...having said that! i see your point about a skimmer with fins, it kind of loses the point of having a skimmer with a kite in the first place.... :roll:
A kitesurfer...allways to be enjoyed, never given up, a lifelong commitment, comes over and above your god,partner, job, pets and cuddly toys. The wind is now your god, the sea allways your friend.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey Waggy,

That is great! Thank you very much for spreading the information about LTS. It a great to have many different people here sharing their wisdom, and passion for strapless riding. That was really on of my main goals for doing the site to begin with.

The Rev is a good depowering - stable kite, and should work quite nicely for strapless riding so you are good there. As far as the board goes, since I have not ridden the Tsunami I cannot really gve you constructive comments about it. If I knew the size of it I could tell you if the size was right, but your weight is about mine and you can get away with many different styles of boards.

I have written a review that I posted on the Drew model here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101

If this is going to be your first board, and you want to use it as an all-terrain skim then I would really suggest the Phase5 Prop. Check my comments on that board here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157#p720

This board really excels in all conditions, is constructed well, and comes with pads. If you have access to get the Phase5 boards where you are at I would go with this one over the Drew Carbon model. The Carbon model is a bit edgy to ride and requires a lot of rider input. I find it very stiff for surf and chop. In butter or relatively flat water it is a sweet, poping ride.

Sounds like an amazing spot where you ride. You are very lucky to only have six people on the island. I dream about just have six people kiting with me like the old days... :cry:

Let me know what other questions you might have, and post some pics when you can on your new board at your local spot.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Waggy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Lonny wrote:Sounds like an amazing spot where you ride. You are very lucky to only have six people on the island. I dream about just have six people kiting with me like the old days... :cry:

and post some pics when you can on your new board at your local spot.

Hi Lonny...

Not strapless riding, but thought i'd post a few pic's of our local spot....Enjoy :wink:

p.s...not myself riding, my mate, real cool dude :wink: but gives you a idea of one of the local spots..
will keep you posted on the board hunt, thanks for the info and kind support...GREAT SITE!! keep up the good work! :D
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Yann » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Cool spot with a nice scenery! Where is it :?:
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Waggy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Yann wrote:Cool spot with a nice scenery! Where is it :?:

Hi Yann...

Right here...in the middle of the irish sea ( Isle of Man..UK )..one of the coolest places on the earth to K-surf...but Shhhh! dont tell everybody :wink:

More pic's....Enjoy :wink:

Last edited by Waggy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Todd » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Isle of Man - no way! My super good friend David Hastilow is from there. He was around this summer - he rips pretty hard.
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby Waggy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Todd wrote:Isle of Man - no way! My super good friend David Hastilow is from there. He was around this summer - he rips pretty hard.

Well you best say "Hi" to "OUR" super cool friend David Hastilow next time you see him :wink: ..and yes he rips prity hard....small world Todd :roll:

http://www.kiteforum.tv/video.html?id=803
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy