Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Finger flip transitions.

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Finger flip transitions.

Postby Slyde » Fri May 23, 2008 7:10 pm

A technique question. I find nailing a consistent fingerflip transition with air is really hard. I had been trying to keep my backhand in the middle of the bar with the CL between my fingers and generate air with speed and pop keeping the kite high and trying to fly it slowly backwards during the transition. Problem is getting enough height to make the transition slower and more stylish. usually ends up being super fast just to get the board back on the water under my feet and not enough time to land with balance and ride away. Recently tried moving my hand back a little further and flying the kite back a bit more but then trying to use the extra leverage to push the bar forwards again to maintain height before pulling back again after the transition. Seems to give a bit more air time but its hard to keep the bar sheeted in and push it forward. I guess this is where a fixed loop or pulley bar is best but I need the SLE depower where I ride as its gusty as.
What do you guys do with the kite /bar during the transition?

On a similar topic picking up the board with the front hand , or ollieing to a front hand grab is relatively simple but what about a back hand grab so you can jump without transitioning, thats tough. Any tips?
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: Finger flip transitions.

Postby Lonny » Fri May 23, 2008 10:32 pm

I use a Crossbow 3 kite for all my skimming, and I do not think the problem for you is the kite. A fixed kite is functional if you live in a spot that has super steady wind, most of us do not get that kind of wind. I much prefer to have the range that a good bow kite provides.

However, timing is so critical to pull the trick with style. You might be coming in with a bit too much speed and overflying the kite. When I do the transition I head up a bit to tension the lines and pop. I keep my back had right up to the chicken loop line. Once I get air I do not try to keep the kite sheeted in, but rather focus keeping it right over my head. The further it goes behind you the harder it will be to come down on your board, and power out of the transition. In fact I find that as I get the board underneath me I complete a kite loop and you can come out of the trick screaming the other direction.

I am just now trying to do an ollie with an indy grab, and have not had too much luck yet. Its hard to keep the kite going forward for me. Some of the other riders might have some feedback on that one.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy