Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

I bust my board

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

I bust my board

Postby Slyde » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:03 am

DSC00697.JPG
DSC00697.JPG (97.07 KiB) Viewed 34720 times
DSC00697.JPG
DSC00697.JPG (97.07 KiB) Viewed 34720 times
2 minutes in to today's session I hit an ollie of a small wave. Came down tail first and my board folded. Its history!!
Was a great board too. Full carbon Cabal Roush but made for pro skimming, not kiting so maybe I was pushing it too hard. I suspect carbon is maybe too brittle for kiting.

Anyone got any suggestions for a replacement. This was 128x51.5 cm. I could go a touch wider I guess. I wouldnt go for carbon in future even though this was a super light board. Guess I need a little more strength
Problem is I live in New Zealand and have to ship whatever I buy here from the US which is expensive. Any recommendations on a store with good boards, good deals and good international shipping?
Attachments
DSC00698.JPG
DSC00698.JPG (79.53 KiB) Viewed 34718 times
DSC00696.JPG
DSC00696.JPG (52.08 KiB) Viewed 34720 times
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: I bust my board

Postby pebbles » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:28 am

Why don't you get the man himself to build you a custom? I'm sure Eric could make it more bomber than a production board.

later
pebbles
pebbles
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby mattv » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 am

I just got a Triple-X wakesurfer fronm East Cost Surf Supply on eBay and I really like the board. It comes with pads and it really light. It is not the strongest board out there but for the price is was a good deal.

mattv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Kaito » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:04 am

Jeeeez! That doesn't look too good.. :shock:

Scary, cause I'm on a Cabal Fire too! Definately a light, stiff board, but you're probably right - the constuction could lead to a "SNAP" vs's a flex..
Just curious, but how long have you been riding it?

If you liked your Fire, I'd say checkout the Surftech Roush's. Same shaper & same board Joey P. kite-skim's with, so its gotta be able to hold up. Construction's probably changed since its made by Surftech now too. ~ prices aren't bad either! :P

Since Surftech's pretty big, I'm guess'n there's a good chance there's at least one shop in your area that carries something in their line-up. If so, they can probably help with getting a Surftech-skim over for you.

Worth a peak, worth a try.
Hope you find a good replacement soon!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 am

It pains me to see your busted board :cry: , but hey I always prefer to break them vs. losing them!

I have had very good results with my Phase5, which is made by ZAP. ZAP is a pretty popular line as well in the traditional skim arena and I am sure it would not be too hard to find one. I am still riding my first one that I got over 4 years ago. I would say that is a pretty durable board. I been riding the Prop. Personally, I find the carbon boards a bit too stiff for my taste. You do get more speed because of it, but I am not crazy about the flex vs. a traditional layup. Especially, in waves or heavy chop it makes for a very stiff feel.

For more information see this page:
http://www.phase5boards.com/productIconBoard.cfm
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Slyde » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks Lonny, I found someone importing ZAP skims (but not phase 5 wakesurfers). Thought I might go for the large pro model which is 54x 20.25. This looks about right on paper. Have you tried this model, any idea how the skims differ from the wakesurf boards? I'd go for a surftech roush model but our dollar value has crashed and importing myself would cost me $7-800 which is a little steep for a skim. Brian Lake rides the ZAPs doesnt he? seem to work for him OK. Funny that no one one this site has commented on their performance to date.
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Slyde wrote:Thanks Lonny, I found someone importing ZAP skims (but not phase 5 wakesurfers). Thought I might go for the large pro model which is 54x 20.25. This looks about right on paper. Have you tried this model, any idea how the skims differ from the wakesurf boards? I'd go for a surftech roush model but our dollar value has crashed and importing myself would cost me $7-800 which is a little steep for a skim. Brian Lake rides the ZAPs doesnt he? seem to work for him OK. Funny that no one one this site has commented on their performance to date.

That size sounds perfect, but I am not specifically sure of the difference between the two boards. I have Bob Smetts', owner and shaper for ZAP/Phase5, email address because I correspond with him about his boards and how they work with kiting. I will email him and ask him exactly his thoughts on the model you are looking at so you can have the answer right from the man himself. I am not sure what Brian is riding right now, but I thought I heard from someone he was riding a ZAP. However, I can tell you that after 4 years of riding my Phase5 board in everything from 10 - 35 mph of wind, chop, butter, and up to head high waves it has been an excellent performing skim. The Roush boards look very good as well, but that amount seems rather steep unless you really love it! Also, I have done some posts on the ZAPs:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101

As soon as I have an answer for you I will post it here....

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Slyde,

Here is Bob Smetts' reply to your question on the difference between the board I ride, Phase5 Prop, and the Zap Large Pro model you are looking at:
"The Prop and Zap lg.Pro are the same board, less the fin option, and that’s also the last board I sent Brian Lake"

That is good news, because I almost never use my fin, and as I mentioned I really love my Prop. Plus, besides all the other stuff I already mentioned, if Brian Lake is using one I have a pretty good feeling you will be happy with it! :wink: Let me know if you have any other questions, and if you get it I will be really curious to hear your feedback.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Slyde » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:06 am

Thats good because I just bought a ZAP large pro. One look at it and I knew it was gong to be da bomb. I'll get it padded up and hopefully on the water this weekend. Pics and review to follow.
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy