Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

list of recommended skimboards?

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

list of recommended skimboards?

Postby sflinux » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Jon Modica compiled a nice list of strapless surfboards.
I think it would be great if a list was compiled for skimboards.

The only commerical skim that I own is a windwing flash austin which has convex in the nose and flat bottom in the back pintail. It rides well switch so no need to jibe. It's not a great lightwind board (a little small for my 200#), but fun once the winds are up. It's dimensions are 48"x19.5" [tad smaller than the Zap Large Wedge]. I prefer surfboards for lightwinds.
Surely there are other riders who've spent time on different skimboards that they could recommend.
Last edited by sflinux on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: list of recommended skimboards?

Postby Lonny » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:34 am

I think that is a very good idea. :idea: I will start a new topic and sticky it for people to have for reference like Jon's list.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby sflinux » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Lonny,
I saw a recent post where you recommended a Zap skimboard and I now have a question (I know you ride the Plan5).
My windwing flash Austin skimboard is only 48"x19.5" and I weigh 200#s. How does the low end of the Zap large pro compare to the Placebo Surfskate? I've never seen a skimboard have better low end than a surfboard. I've had my windwing skim out back to back with a 6" surfboard; I couldn't get off the beach with the windwing, but could ride upwind on the surfboard. I've been out on my 6'6" surfboard riding upwind while another lighter rider on a bigger kite couldn't go upwind on the cabalsx51. Just wondering how the Zap large pro skimboard compares to a surfboard.
One more question, does the Zap have any concave on the bottom of the board, or is it flat? If I get a Zap, I'll have to order it online and won't be able to view it in person first.
Thanks.
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:08 am

Hey Sflinux,

I just posted another review of the new Phase5 Prop I am riding (inspired partially by your request for a review thread :D ). According to Bob Smett's, owner of ZAP, this board is identical to the Zap Large Pro model except that the Prop has a single fin option. First I have not seen your board, but just based on the dimensions I think it would be a bit too small to be a light wind machine vs. your Placebo. I weigh 160 lbs, and the Prop I ride a 54" x 20.5". Also the new Prop I have is about 3/4" thick vs. 1/2" - so it definitely has more volume than my old one. I think the low end of this board would be better than your current skim for certain. I can tell you that I ride both the Placebo and the Phase5 regularly and both boards have the same low end for me, which starts at about 10. However, I cannot say for sure that you will find this to be the same for you. Also, at this year's Surf Expo I saw a 57" x 21" board at the ZAP booth. Who know this might be the light wind skim that would be ideal for you. :idea:

What wind do you generally want to ride in with your skimboard? What wind speed do you like to ride up to? Also, where are you located maybe there is a dealer in your area that might let you try before you buy? Let me know and I can find out for you.

Check out the review here and let me know what other questions you have or I can help with:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157&p=720#p720

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby sflinux » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:12 am

Hi Lonny,
Thanks for the reply and other post. I believe the windwing skim was designed with waves in mind. It has a pintail and concave on the front half of the board. The concave side makes it easy to hold kite power and I think helps grip onto the wave.
Here a promo of the windwing skim:
http://www.windwing.com/images/adverts/ ... dpromo.jpg
A write up of it can be found on page 35 of this issue of KBmagazine.
http://www.theringmedia.com/PDFS/TheKit ... uality.pdf
page 35 of product watch section:
"Flash Austin's signature model skim board is a surf style pintail design. Excellent as an easy transportable light wind weapon in the waves or flats. The board's compression molded, single lay-up gives the "skim" an excellent strength to weight ratio.
size 49"x19.75"x5/8"
And a short review here:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a

It sounds like an xlarge Zap may better suited for my weight in light wind, which is what I'm I'm looking for.
sflinux
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 am

The Windwind looks like a nice board. Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to ride one so I could give you a direct comparison. The Phase5 Prop that I am riding right now is the best skim I have used so far in waves. I think Slyde just bought the Zap Large Pro and he posted his thoughts on it as well:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157#p735

Overall, I can tell you that I do not think you will be disappointed with the board. It rides very well in heavy chop and works quite nicely in lighter winds. However, if you want to PM me with your location I will email Bob to see if there is a dealer in your area so you can try before you buy. Let me know how I can help.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy