Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

How to stay on your skim & in control in nuke winds?

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

How to stay on your skim & in control in nuke winds?

Postby Kaito » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:40 am

Any ideas guys?

Yesterday we had 20~25, with some periods of 30+, and I was WELL powerd!
(To give you an idea how 'powerd', I wasn't able to walk straight on the beach w/the kite low, so had to keep it high to get tot the water. ~ straight on shore winds.)
Warmed up w/the twintip :oops: , got all the airs, spins, hops outta my sytem, then jumped on the skim!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No more edge digging(strapped-style that is..), or tail-stomping to put the brakes on.. :shock:
This was my first time riding the skim when I was already WELL powered on my 6m, so I had alot of face-planting, and mach-run's to butt slides... :lol:

After a while I got more accustomed, and my stance position started working more, but does anyone have any skim-advice on how to stay in control on a skim in nuke-conditions?

In retrospect, next time I'll have to move my front foot further towards the tail to have my stance create some drag.

Any other tips, wise words from the experienced? :)
Kite position? stance? stomping to brake methods?

I'd love to learn & try my next outing, and I'm sure others would too!

Thanks all!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Re: How to stay on your skim & in control in nuke winds?

Postby Kaito » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:47 am

Oh - gotta add...one important thing I didn't mention..
Surface conditions were no where near flat...REAL choppy, and waist-high waves.
Comparable to the conditions in the 'swedish shots' thread.. :shock:

Definately doesn't make holding an edge in place easy.. :mrgreen:
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby chanson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Keep your weight on the back foot to dig in the tail of the board...This will create a bunch of drag.

I keep the kite inbetween low and high in the window... Just make sure you stay on edge of your board and you shouldn't butt-slide too much(this is when the board is flat).. When tacking, jibing, shuv-its, etc.. slowly move the kite high in the window...

As far as the chop goes...There are a lot of days out here with massive chop or when the ocean is super churned up it gets real choppy... During the KB4C race it was real choppy, but I rounded bouys before TT's on my skim... Keep your stance low, wide and keep your knees loose...Absorb as much as you can by sucking your knees up and back down to navigate through the chop.

:mrgreen:

I should also mention that I ride toeside a lot in super nukey conditions...Creates a bunch of drag also...

Then release and watch the board suck to your feet!! These were from a 6m with 15m lines morning...
Attachments
strapless_chanson_655.jpg
strapless_chanson_655.jpg (593.85 KiB) Viewed 38626 times
toeside_skim_565.jpg
toeside_skim_565.jpg (575.69 KiB) Viewed 38625 times
chanson
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Chanson nailed it there. All very good points. Nice work Gorge skim master! 8)

The only thing I would add to Chanson's comments is that when you do any aerials in heavy breeze you have to keep in mind that your skim is going to possibly move at you faster than it normally would due to the increased wind speed. I generally use a little less force when doing any ollies, shuvits, or any aerials that I am trying. I have been whacked all over enough in windier conditions and have learned this the painful way. Also, if you are doing a trick with a grab try to get to the skim as soon as possible with your hand, maybe a little ealier off the water than you normally would to cut down on the unpredictable nature or travel.

I love to hit a pop-shuvit off a an on-coming wave face and then send the kite a little. If all goes well you can go up about ten feet and your board will complete the 180 drop below you. As you come down you can try to steer yourself back onto your board. Its a 1 in 10 shot usually, but when you land one it feels pretty cool. :shock:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kaito » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Sounds like I've gotta stomp my back foot more. ~ and keep it stomped 8)
Key words for my next sess - "STOMP" & "STANCE" :mrgreen:

Another thing, when a big gust hit, I tried riding straight at the kite to let some line tension/power out, but I'd end up going super mach speed.. :shock: Afterwards, I wasn't able to reset my rail again! I know it sounds a bit novice, but w/the Twintip, reseting a rail is no problem, and making the board spray when slowing back down make for plenty of fun!
- How the heck do I run at the kite & reset the rail afterwards? Do I just need to keep hack'n at it & refine my stance/foot pressure/edging technique?

And last, something that ties with the reseting your edge, can you get a decent bottom-turn on a wave with a skim?
After one hit of the lip, I'd slide out on the bottom & it'd be end of story...I was able to get 2,3,4 turns on the same wave w/the twintip... :oops: Again, more technique? or do I just pretty much write off gettin more than one hit off the lip per wave?

Thanks again for the replies & I look forward to trying out the tips!
Oh- Chanson- AWESOME pics!!!!! :twisted:

K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby TWIN-FIN » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey guys, decided to register since I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, this is my first post.
I am also new to the skim board thing, and was inspired by two guys from nwKite.com chanson and G-man.
They both RIP strapless in all conditions.
My questions regarding how to stay in control in nuketacular winds is:
What is the proper foot position. I find that as I edge on my skim board my feet are both on one side of the board to set the edge. Is this correct? I have attempted to ride toe side but I cant seem to set the edge on toe side. Should I have my feet more centered on the board?
I went out with G-Man last sunday for some flat water heaven in the surf but kept face planting trying to go toe side. G-Man explained the technique for going toe side but it didnt really make sence to me with my current foot placement.
Thanks for a great site and the skimmy stoke I get from lose the straps and the NW strapless crew.
TWIN-FIN
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:45 am

Kaito wrote:Thanks for the helpful replies!

Another thing, when a big gust hit, I tried riding straight at the kite to let some line tension/power out, but I'd end up going super mach speed.. :shock: Afterwards, I wasn't able to reset my rail again! I know it sounds a bit novice, but w/the Twintip, reseting a rail is no problem, and making the board spray when slowing back down make for plenty of fun!
- How the heck do I run at the kite & reset the rail afterwards? Do I just need to keep hack'n at it & refine my stance/foot pressure/edging technique?

And last, something that ties with the reseting your edge, can you get a decent bottom-turn on a wave with a skim?
After one hit of the lip, I'd slide out on the bottom & it'd be end of story...I was able to get 2,3,4 turns on the same wave w/the twintip... :oops: Again, more technique? or do I just pretty much write off gettin more than one hit off the lip per wave?

Running towards the kite generally will not work with the skim because you generate so much speed and the skim flattens out on the water which knocks you straight off your board especially since you have no straps to keep you on it. Learning to ride overpowered is like any other technique you learn. Shift your weight to your back foot which should be bent and your front foot almost straight. You really need to set your rail because that is the only lateral resistance you have since you have no fins. As you do that make sure you sheet your bar out which will also cause your kite to surge forward in the wind window. Both your stance and the kite position with send you further upwind or at tighter angle (close reach) to the wind, which will slow you down. Initially it might feel like you are accelerating, but trust me you will slow down and be able to ride out gusts. Try that out and let me know how that goes for ya...

As far as bottom turning goes, you can totally get as many turns on a skim as with a tt, but it a different kind of approach. If you try to ride your skim in the waves just like you do your surfboard or TT it can be frustrating. Riding a skim in waves to me is one of the ultimate challenges of riding a skim at all, and very few people even attempt it even if they ride a skim regularly. So Kaito props to you for going for it. One of the most difficult parts about going rail to rail on a skim board is that at one point you have no resistance at all and it feels like you are walking on ice. Can you gybe your skimboard and go toe-side on it now? If not, work on that first in flat water, it will make it much easier for you when you try to do it with the added complication of a wave in front of you. Also work in choppy water by spotting chop that might be breaking a bit and go up and down the chop like a small wave. That practice can help you big time when you hit some real waves. Riding waves will probably be one of the most challenging things you will ever do on a skim let alone kiting over all, but I can promise you that when you hit a nice bottom turn to the lip and back it is a fantastic feeling of accomplishment, and well worth suffering to get there! Go for it and let me know how else I can help.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 am

TWIN-FIN wrote:My questions regarding how to stay in control in nuketacular winds is:
What is the proper foot position. I find that as I edge on my skim board my feet are both on one side of the board to set the edge. Is this correct? I have attempted to ride toe side but I cant seem to set the edge on toe side. Should I have my feet more centered on the board?

Hey Twin-Fin welcome to Lose the Straps! Glad to have you on.

I have not ridden with the NW kite guys, but just from talking with them on the board I can tell they are great riders and I am sure an inspiration in your area. That is awesome! :D

Regarding your question, remember that a skimboard is a directional board, but can be ridden either way. That being said you will usually have more board in front of you then behind you. You back foot should be more towards the back of your board and your front foot will be more in the center of the board. You should not be standing with both feet on the opposite sides of the board and that would feel rather awkward and make for some uncomfortable riding. Try that and you should feel much more comfortable.

One of the best ways to learn to ride toe-side to to gybe your board, but don't switch your feet. Keep you feet in the same position, but shift your weight to put pressure on your toes vs. your heels. You do not need to change your stance very much if at all. Keep in mind that riding toe-side can be quite difficult for people especially when they are first trying to grasp the skim. Take it slow and prepare to eat some major water for a while. Its all part of the learning curve, but you will get it. If it makes you feel better I still suck at riding toe-side on switch stance (left foot back), and this season I have been making a conscious effort to balance it vs. my right foot. If gybing your board is too difficult you can also just keep your stance the same and push your board out to toe-side going the same direction, which will help you get the feeling as well. If you watch our video you can see me push the board to toe-side @ about 1:40 on the video, and you can see that I do not alter my stance at all.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63

Let me know how else I can help or if anything was not clear. Keep on working on it.. Its worth it...

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kaito » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi skimmers!
Just a quick update on my skim-progression. ~ Powered, and in the waves. 8)

Had a quick session yesterday, 16~20knots, so went on my smallest kite so I'd HAVE to stay on my skim. :wink:
I wasn't litt, but I was comfortably powered, and once again I realized that session after session, if you STICK TO a skim, you get more & more comfortable. of course, right? - yeah, but strapless/finless, the comfort & reward is pretty big! - for me at least! :mrgreen:

One major step forward for me yesterday was being able to ride, slash, and cut around the waves. (backside :wink: )
Funny thing is, I'm still sliding around too much on the bottom turn of front-side rides, but with back-side rides, I think I've cracked the code! : ) Also, back-side rides were easier because my front foot was already on the heel-side edge, so it was just a matter of edging & bringing the carve around, then taking the bottom turn nice'n mellow. Thanks to the tips from you all, when I felt slippage, I leaned on the tail more, and my control was waaay better!

I've still gotta work on front-side rides, but the main challenge I have is keeping control on the bottom turn, for that brief time there's no edge-grip. I prob need to lean on the tail more for that instant, and engage the toeside rail asap! :idea:
:arrow: (having my front foot towards my heel-side edge is another thing that I think is complicating things..should I move it more towards the middle when on a toe side ride?)

Lonny, you're right! Wave skimming is ALOT of fun! and the rewards are big with each bit of progression.
Thanks again all! :D
Rgds,
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby hen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:08 pm

great tips and ideas. tried a few of them in 18-25 knots on my 8.5m and UG skim . stayed on the baord (for most of the time ) :lol:
Hen
flexifoil ion3 8.5 m
North Rhino6 14m
Underground FLX 132 08
Underground Custom skim board 135*51
Nobile 555 134*40
hen
Grom

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy