Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Skimmy in the shallows

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Skimmy in the shallows

Postby mattv » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:07 am

So yesterday I went out for a session in what I knew would be dying winds. I started with the skimmy and switched to a strapless surfboard until the wind died out. The tide was also going out and the spot that I was at gets these large pools of water that can be anywhere from 1cm to almost a foot deep and 50-100 feet wide that are cut off from the ocean by a sandbar that gets exposed at low tide. Since there was really nothing going on and I did not want to leave I grabbed the skim again and hit the pools. What blew me away was how little wind I needed to get going in 1-2 cm of water. Because of the lack of water the board does not sink and once you get moving the board really skims across the surface nice, no pun intended. I also found that even in 1-2 cm of water I can put just a little bit of edge on the board and do a bit of an upwind tack. Even if I could not go upwind it was no problem as I could just walk back to the top of the pool and start over again. Of course going down in 1-2 cm of water hurts but I did not fall down that much. The best part is that no one else will even go into the pools with their TT boards as they can not get going. When the tide starts to come back in the pools of water just get bigger so the skim play ground grows. Now I can not wait for the next low tide day with decent wind so I can get back into the pools and play around. Hopefully next time I can get some pics and video. My only fear is that the other riders will see me having fun in the light winds and want to play to and then my private playground will be full of other kiters.
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: Skimmy in the shallows

Postby Lonny » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am

Its funny that you mentioned this, but I wait for the same conditions at my favorite launch, Matheson Hammock. I lovingly refer to Matheson as the armpit of Biscayne Bay, and when our tide pulls out it can go from completely dry to 2-3" of water depending on the tidal pull. I really enjoy this time as well because it is super buttery flat, and no-one can go out on regular TTs ect. You can even take your skim on completely pulled out areas as long as it is still somewhat wet or has moist bottom grass and you can go right over it. :shock: Sometimes you fall if you catch an edge, and end up with the Matheson Muck Ass, which takes a few day to clear out the smell... :oops: but hey its worth it!

Also, when it is super flat like that it is a great time to practice handle-pass tricks. Since you will have no chop to deal with you can focus on getting your timing and balance down, then when you try it in chop or waves you have a much better chance of pulling it off. Ripping a nice handle pass in front of a break wave is a pretty cool feeling on a skimmer, and I highly recommend it. 8)

I don't think you will have to worry about your private sanctuary being overrun with other kites. A few riders might take notice and join you, but I have been doing this for years at Matheson, and mostly everyone else at the beach hangs out and waits for more water or rides upwind to the deeper part of the bay. Let's face it most people just have not caught on to how much fun riding a skim or surfboard can be, and until they do, more open 1" deep water for us! :twisted:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kaito » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Being realatively new to skim-kiting an all...I was out in knee deep water, that gradually turned to ankle/1~2" deep and kept getting knocked on my A55! :oops: I figured out after about 3 knock-downs, it was because my edge was set, and kite kinda low, that my edge was getting 'lifted', by hitting the shallow/sand below.. :roll: (talk about sand in your shorts!..) :shock:

After thinking more about riding in extreme shallow water, I'd think it'd be better to keep the kite high, and not dig the edge in so much. :idea:

I know what you mean about practicing (surface)Hp's in zero chop. A world of differnce compared to any bit of distrurbance. I can get'm with the TT, and I'll try'm w/the Skim my next chance. 8)
For anyone think'n about practicing/trying'm, do it a few times off the board, just flying the kite to get the motion & muscle-memory. Then hop on your board & do the same. :mrgreen: ~ I found it was easier with the kite higher too..less pressure on the edge, and more time to recover the kite if you accidently send the kite in a dive during the Hp.

Bring on the puddles! :twisted:
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby treeboy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:31 am

Hey. Wicked site-thought its about time I posted. Yeah shallows rock. I find HP's are easier with the kite low in the window (mind you i only get them 50% of the time) and it does hurt if you get it wrong and trip in 1" of water :wink:
treeboy
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy