Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Triple-X

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Triple-X

Postby mattv » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:22 am

Has anyone tried Triple-X skim boards or wakesurfers? I am looking at getting a 54" or 58".

mattv
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: Triple-X

Postby Lonny » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

I have not seen or heard of the Triple-X brand before. How much do you weigh? Can you give me the width dimensions as well as the length? Do you have a link to the board so I can check it out? 58" sounds a little big unless you are 200 lbs or more. Let me know and I can give you more feedback.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Olas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:53 am

Hey Lonny,

Reviving an old thread here. I am also looking at getting my first skimboard. I'm 170lbs and looking for something to cruise around with and have fun in light wind (pretty much all there is at the local spot) and my twin tip is not cutting it.

here is triple x I was looking at in 54":

http://www.triplexsurfandskim.com/produ ... ct=3591228

It is definitely a cheaper alternative to a Zap Pro (even used), but perhaps you get what you pay for? I don't know enough about skimmers to make an informed decision and avoid buyers remorse, Cheers!
Ottawa Valley - Element 13m, Rebel 9m
Olas
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 am

Hey Olas,

Welcome to LTS, and thank you for posting your question.

As I mentioned to Matt in his previous post I have never heard of this brand, and I do not recall any of the more experienced riders here talking about this brand. Therefore, I do not want to make a recommendation about a board I have not had personal experience with or someone I trust posting their feedback. Generally you do get what you pay for, as you aptly mentioned, but I understand the need to save a few $$$ as well. That being said, if I was going to try one of the Triple-X models I would suggest the 54" for your weight. The overall dimensions seem about right. The worst case scenario is that you blow $129 bucks and then need to find another skim. :wink: The other issue I would mention is that since this is your first skim you will not know the difference, and might have a bad experience because of the board and not anything else. I have ridden so many skims that have the same overall dimensions, but ride completely differently. A skim seems like such a simple layout and should be easy to make, but it is more tricky than one would think.

Not sure what their return policy is, but maybe you can at least order one and look at it. If the construction or quality looks poor send it back. Either way if you do decide to get one, we would love to know your honest opinion on it so others that come here looking for the same information have some actual rider feedback. Consider posting you review here:
LTS Skimboard Reviews

Sorry I could not provide you more help. And do keep us up to date as to what you decided.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Olas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback and keeping this site going, it was a great resource while trying to decide on a second kiteboard to use for lightwind.

If I end up with the Triple X I will definitely post on what I thought of it.

Cheers,

Olas
Olas
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Olas wrote:Thanks for the feedback and keeping this site going, it was a great resource while trying to decide on a second kiteboard to use for lightwind.

If I end up with the Triple X I will definitely post on what I thought of it.

Cheers,

Olas

Thanks for making my day! :D We have complied over 4 years of a lot of good information, and I am very glad you found it useful! Looking forward to hearing what you end of doing.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy