Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Video - Lose the Straps - Skim Stoke

This is the place to post your pictures and youtube videos showing off your strapless sickness! Show us the goods. Prepare for the praise or the punishment. Hey if you never show it, we will never know it!

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Video - Lose the Straps - Skim Stoke

Postby Lonny » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Here is a new video that Todd and I shot over 3 days in March of 2009. The video features a variety of conditions ranging from 8 knots to over 25.

The video is the first I have shot with my new camera and water housing. Also, this is the first video I have edited with Sony Vegas so I am still learning slowly how to use it. Katrina, our webmaster, also worked to developed a new video compression that really looks very good, and is almost as good as the original file.

I really enjoyed making the video and I hope that you enjoy watching it. Please let me know what you think! Also if you have a slower connection you might want to start the video then pause it for about 2-3 minutes to let it load ahead (notice the gray bar in the video window). Once you have a good head start just let it play and you should be good. Enjoy!

[flashplayer=Lose The Straps Video - Skim Stoke]http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/media/mov/skim_stoke_fs.mp4[/flashplayer]

Some people have had issues with the video streaming from the site so I also uploaded it to Youtube. The resolution is not quite as good as above, but pretty darn good. Make sure to click the the "HQ" when you are watching it.

Last, but not least here it is on Vimeo. Now, everyone should be able to watch it at least one way. :wink:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Re: Video - Lose the Straps - Skim Stoke

Postby cynbad » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:48 pm

HOLY %$#$#@7r6K!!! Awsome!!
cynbad
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:26 am

cynbad wrote:HOLY %$#$#@7r6K!!! Awsome!!

:lol: Glad you liked it.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby miss_vixen » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Sick vid... did you have a tripod?
miss_vixen
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm

miss_vixen wrote:Sick vid... did you have a tripod?

Thank you! Funny that you mentioned the Sony HR-500V and the Sony Watersports Housing in your other post. I did not want to go HD because it was just too expensive in case it got messed up or stolen so I went with the Sony DCR-HC52, which shoots pretty nice video on mini DV in native 720x480. Good enough for my needs at this time, and since it was only $230 if I mess up its not too bad. :wink: Like you said in your post, I can always get another HD camera down the road to use with my housing because its compatible with so many Sony cameras.

The video was shot over 3 separate days, and the first day we did not have a tripod. After watching the footage on the first day I knew we need we needed one for the next shoot so I went out and bought a $30 mono pod to take into the water. The footage came out a lot better. Sorry about the shakes in some of the shots... :oops:

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kitemare » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 am

What do you call that trick you did where your skim is flipping and twisting
every which way? ... and then you land it! NICE Move!!!!!!!

Any chance you can put a few of those moves into slow-mo while explaining the technique?
Kitemare
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:19 pm

Kitemare wrote:What do you call that trick you did where your skim is flipping and twisting
every which way? ... and then you land it! NICE Move!!!!!!!

Any chance you can put a few of those moves into slow-mo while explaining the technique?

Thank you. Really glad you enjoyed the video. :D

That trick is a variation of the Kickflip or Heelflip that I started landing last Summer, and was published in SBC Kiteboarding. You can see a slo-mo of one here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64

Now, when the wind is 18-20 and above I have been working on doing those with many more rotations and height. A normal kick flip would be a full 360 rotation of the board, in that shot the board rotates 2.5 times or a 900, and I landed it and rode away on the bottom of my skimmer. The beginning progression of that trick is simply to start building a solid Pop shuvit. As you get higher and higher you can do more rotations with the board, and hopefully land on it and ride away! :wink: Sometimes its easier said then done.

Also, Todd and I have on our agenda to break down several moves from the basics to more advanced tricks. Skimboarding 101 is coming! :idea: Stay tuned.....

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby K3rM1t » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 pm

What size kite are you flying when it's 8?

Do you need anything bigger than a 12m with a skim?
K3rM1t
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:16 pm

K3rM1t wrote:What size kite are you flying when it's 8?

Do you need anything bigger than a 12m with a skim?

I weigh 160lbs, and in 8 knots with a Switchblade 12 IDS I can start riding. Several of those shots in the video were shot on a super light day. One of the reasons I started riding with a skim was to get away from big kites. I would always rather use a smaller kite and a skim vs. a TT and a bigger kite. Of course, it also depends on what style you like to ride mostly.

The short answer is, yes, any good low end kite around 12 or 13 should be your biggest kite with a skim or light wind surfboard. If you are 180 - 190lbs plus then you might need to reconsider your options.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby K3rM1t » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm about 180 dry and I know I can't get away with a 12m and my surfboards, at least not if I want to stay upwind. Big kites seem to suck with skims though and I really want to get a light day on my 12 and a skim and see if the added kite speed helps out a bit.
K3rM1t
Grom

Share |

Postby Slyde » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:22 am

Hah!! I'm luvin that video Lonny. Wow, if some of thats in 25 knots you sure get some flat water when it blows. I tried me some head high dumpin surf in 20 knots with an 8 the other day. It was ugly!! Got wiped out out the back a few times and the board went off on a nice little trip to the beach without me...alot of swimming that day! Hopin for a bit of that flat water tomorrow. Gotta try that Lonmower, the multiple-rotation kickflip is also cool off a little kicker. You've gotta aim for the landing though I find. I've been trying to do one and keep riding...not doing it as part of a transition, just throw the kickflip and ride on like a skateboard. Its tough!
Great to see some moves on video. Between this and Sundogchicky's surf action I'm staying amped on the skim.
Slyde
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 am

Slyde wrote:Hah!! I'm luvin that video Lonny. Wow, if some of thats in 25 knots you sure get some flat water when it blows. I tried me some head high dumpin surf in 20 knots with an 8 the other day. It was ugly!! Got wiped out out the back a few times and the board went off on a nice little trip to the beach without me...alot of swimming that day! Hopin for a bit of that flat water tomorrow. Gotta try that Lonmower, the multiple-rotation kickflip is also cool off a little kicker. You've gotta aim for the landing though I find. I've been trying to do one and keep riding...not doing it as part of a transition, just throw the kickflip and ride on like a skateboard. Its tough!
Great to see some moves on video. Between this and Sundogchicky's surf action I'm staying amped on the skim.
Slyde

Hey Slyde,

Thanks brother. Glad you liked it. :D If it is motivating you to go out and throw down that is even better. 8) It is amazing how flat it gets at Matheson, when the tide is going out and there is only 6" of water it can get wicked flat. It is a real thing of beauty, and makes for some epic speed runs and wipeouts in mucktastic fashion. :twisted: I have ridden many other "flat" or "butter smooth" spots but I have yet to find one as flat as Matheson. Its pretty darn epic when its right. It was also hard to see how windy it was because it was a super overcast, ugly day, and its hard to see the wind on the water.

It is amazing to me how good Sundogchicky is in real surf and the skim. Keep in mind he just started riding one! Some of those bombs he drops in on are well overhead. I was super impressed when I watched his video. :shock: There is no doubt that hitting some head high dumping surf you are going to take some licks, everybody does - the fact is though, that I bet you caught one or two rides in all that frustration that made the day for you. Nice going! Let me know how the Lonmower goes, and I will try to get a kickflip on video going the same direction.

Thanks again for the positive feedback.

Lonny

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby tyrant » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

MacGruber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>!>!>>!!>>!>!>!>!>>.......!!!
tyrant
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

tyrant wrote:MacGruber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>!>!>>!!>>!>!>!>!>>.......!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby cynbad » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Hey lonny,
The winds have backed off for a couple of days here at the Gorge. I am on a 9m kite....holy hugeness!! Anyways, since the wind is gone, so are the kickers. How are you geting such good clean 'pop' off that flat water???
cynbad
Shuv-it

Share |

Next

Return to Show us what you got!