Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

How I became strapless and the bizzare sacrafice...

This is the place to post your pictures and youtube videos showing off your strapless sickness! Show us the goods. Prepare for the praise or the punishment. Hey if you never show it, we will never know it!

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

How I became strapless and the bizzare sacrafice...

Postby StraplessNY » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. How I became strapless: not by choice...exactly....

I am an unemployed (not too long I hope), hardcore kiter in upstate NY. I am also a Hawaii surfer transplant who used to ride the north shore with an 8' gun that I still have - from many years ago. After a year and a half of kiting I purchased a 5'-4" celeritas and rode it strapless - on occasion...just to begin to get my skills up...but I was mainly a twiner. On my recent second annual pilgrimage to OBX I did my first downwinder on the sound...not a small downwinder...a LONG 13 mile one (may not be long by some folks standards but it was probably too much for me). Being still somewhat new to the sport I leaped ahead of my buddies so that I wouldn't get left behind (dumb item #1)... after 2 hours I began to get dehydrated with no water in 80 degree weather (dumb idea #2), my buddies were no where to be seen on the horizon, I was on my own and hadn't seen a soul in since being on the water...it became erie...(those of you who have been at OBX know how desolate the stretch can be). Long story short I was beginning to worry one of my buddies was having a problem (or was in denial that I was getting anxious). I pulled my gear and waited along a bank. I was worn out, tired and eventually got spooked and was ready to pack it in. I wrapped my gear up and began heading for the road. I should have just walked along the waters edge (dumb item #3). I thought it would be simple, walk through the swamp and then the forest and then I would hit the road and hitch a ride back to Avon (dumb item #4). This is where my riding changed forever...after slogging through 6 foot reeds in a swamp for one hour (dragging my kite and board in a hooded, 6-4 wetsuit) I was relieved to make it to the forest. As I began to crawl through the forest I quickly realized it was no walk in the park. The scrub was full of thorns as far as the eye could see both left and right. I began crawling on all fours and sliding my kite and board along with me...it was not going well and I was moving into heat exhaustion....after a half hour on my knees and no road in sight I became desperate...I needed to ditch my 8m havoc and 150 crazyfly or I was not going to make it out...this was a very difficult moment - I knew there was a strong chance I would not get back to recover my gear. I swallowed hard and let go of it and continued the crawl...another hour on my knees I began to make headway and eventually heard the cars on the road. I hitched a ride from a gracious couple and was back to civilization. When my buddies finally showed up at the cottage they were dumbfounded - and I was embarrassed. But I had made it through the ordeal. We went back as a team in an attempt to find my gear but it was futile...many times they looked back at me and shook their heads saying 'I cant believe you made it through this stuff.' In the end I was left to ride my celeritas strapless the remainder of the trip and learned a lot - like carry water, stay with your buddies, don't do downwinders you cant handle, wear an appropriate wetsuit and on and an.... Anyhow, when I returned to NY I could not afford another twin so I vowed to go completely strapless from that point forward. Several months later I am now riding my old 8' Hawaii gun and enjoy it more than the twin. The sacrifice was big but the rewards of committing to strapless are becoming more clearer every day...this is an homage to my twin tip...I still think of you alone out there in the woods.If anyone hikes out near avon (telephone pole 485) and can find it - your welcome to it...but warning - it may leave you stranded - and you will have to vow to the strapless gods...

Heres what I got! My gun...lovin it...
Attachments
IMAG0151.jpg
IMAG0151.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 34759 times
StraplessNY
Grom

Share |

Re: How I became strapless and the bizzare sacrafice...

Postby Lonny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:47 pm

First I will say, StraplessNY, welcome to LTS, and thanks for coming out of the shadows.

Second, that has got to be one of the craziest stories I have ever heard. And I have been kiting for over 11 years, and have seen or experienced most everything. I can tell from the way you wrote it that you have re-lived that day in your mind many, many times. Wow! Thanks a lot of sharing it. Frankly, I would not be too embarrassed about all the decisions you made, and actually it comes with the territory of "paying your dues". Anyone who has been kiting for a decent length of time has one of those stories in their memoir. I know I have a few, but that is for another day. :oops:

If you don't mind would you allow me to share your story on our blog and fb page? It is a great story, an excellent lesson, and quite inspirational for a number of reasons. If you wish to share a picture of you, and your real name I will include it. If you would rather be anonymous that is fine as well. Either way thanks again for posting your story. And your positive attitude about losing your twin, which forced you to commit to strapless is awesome! Hopefully, you will not be struck down if a twin makes it into your quiver again. Hehe... :D

Epic story. And welcome again. Looking forward to hearing about some of your future adventures....
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:48 am

Hey straplessNY, steep learning curve :D What a story. Congratualtions for being smart and knowing when to ditch your gear.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby StraplessNY » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks for appreciating my story. Your welcome to post anonymously anywhere(I got a lot of guff from my buddies on this one).

Lonny wrote:First I will say, StraplessNY, welcome to LTS, and thanks for coming out of the shadows.

Second, that has got to be one of the craziest stories I have ever heard. And I have been kiting for over 11 years, and have seen or experienced most everything. I can tell from the way you wrote it that you have re-lived that day in your mind many, many times. Wow! Thanks a lot of sharing it. Frankly, I would not be too embarrassed about all the decisions you made, and actually it comes with the territory of "paying your dues". Anyone who has been kiting for a decent length of time has one of those stories in their memoir. I know I have a few, but that is for another day. :oops:

If you don't mind would you allow me to share your story on our blog and fb page? It is a great story, an excellent lesson, and quite inspirational for a number of reasons. If you wish to share a picture of you, and your real name I will include it. If you would rather be anonymous that is fine as well. Either way thanks again for posting your story. And your positive attitude about losing your twin, which forced you to commit to strapless is awesome! Hopefully, you will not be struck down if a twin makes it into your quiver again. Hehe... :D

Epic story. And welcome again. Looking forward to hearing about some of your future adventures....
StraplessNY
Grom

Share |

Return to Show us what you got!