Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Hey guys, another new member!

Welcome to losethestraps.com - the original site dedicated to kitesurfers that are evolving the strapless scene. Please introduce yourself to the forum by posting here.

Moderator: Lonny

Hey guys, another new member!

Postby jeroen.bali » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:15 am

Hey guys,

came across your website yesterday and have been reading the forum with interest.
My name is Jeroen and live in Bali.
Windy season is just around the corner and I am getting exited to hit the water!

haven't been riding for 1.5 years due to a blown ACL and MCL. 3 surgeries further and having missed heaps of water time, I can't wait to kite again. Before my accident I was already riding strapless on a skimmy and surfboards here on the waves and flat water spots.

Question. Anyone of you guys know how riding a skimmy should be on the knees? I am still in rehab (4 months post operation) but I just want to hit the water. Been so long, don't even know right now if i should wait or slowly start on the skimmy...
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jeroen
jeroen.bali
Grom

Share |

Re: Hey guys, another new member!

Postby Lonny » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Hey Jeroen,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thank you for joining. I have heard epic stories about riding in Bali. We need you to post some pictures of you ripping it strapless in Bali - especially on some waves! :wink:
viewforum.php?f=16

I have not found skimming to be too hard on my knees, but other guys I ride with that have knee problems avoid it. Mainly because skims are so slippery on the water and its easy to fall awkwardly. I would probably start of on the surfboard and see how your knee feels then progress on to the skim. Good luck and heal up well. Let us know how it goes.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Waggy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi Jeroen...

Just a thought? what about the likes of the Nobile Skim? ok i know Lonny is not that impressed with fins on a skim, and to be honest i totaly agree, but lonny did make a valid point re: skim slipping away underneath you and possible causing futher damage! but the Nobile skim would give that skim feeling, with losing the straps etc, but will also give the necessary grip the fins have to offer to hold the board a bit from spitting out from under you and causing further setback?...

Might be an idea?

Regards.... :wink:
A kitesurfer...allways to be enjoyed, never given up, a lifelong commitment, comes over and above your god,partner, job, pets and cuddly toys. The wind is now your god, the sea allways your friend.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby jeroen.bali » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:19 pm

turn.jpg
turn.jpg (180.44 KiB) Viewed 41582 times

Thanks for the tips guys!

I guess you have point about riding finn-less and the board being slippery and sliding on the water, that that could cause extra stress on my ligaments.
My whole idea was riding strapless to avoid having to put my knee at risk by inserting my feet in the straps. And because it is a much nicer way of riding, coming of from a surfing background.

I guess I will first take out my surfboard and see how it goes and when that goes well (oh i hope so, cross my fingers) I can make a next step.

Just ordered some new kites for the upcoming season. Mostly have been riding reef breaks here in Bali and the other islands, but there is this fantastic bit of beach break which goes on for miles. It starts cross offshore and therefor is gusty, but the further downwind you go, the more side-shore the wind gets. Hope these new kites will handle those gusty conditions well. Then i have a new playground!

Here are some strapless pictures taken last year and 2 years of myself and my good mate here in Indo.

Greetings Jeroen
Attachments
turn2.jpg
turn2.jpg (171.92 KiB) Viewed 41581 times
jeroen.bali
Grom

Share |

Postby jeroen.bali » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Another one..
Mostly been riding old used surfboards i can get my hands on. Problem is the durability, love to hit the lips hard, heel pressures and broken fin boxes as a result. I actually have made a new board last month here in Bali. Shaped by a visiting Hawaian shaper and laminated here in Bali. Where can I post a picture of that board? In this same topic or is there are certain forum for that?

Greetz Jeroen
Attachments
turn3.jpg
turn3.jpg (283.78 KiB) Viewed 41578 times
jeroen.bali
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:18 pm

jeroen.bali wrote:Another one..
Mostly been riding old used surfboards i can get my hands on. Problem is the durability, love to hit the lips hard, heel pressures and broken fin boxes as a result. I actually have made a new board last month here in Bali. Shaped by a visiting Hawaian shaper and laminated here in Bali. Where can I post a picture of that board? In this same topic or is there are certain forum for that?

Greetz Jeroen

Hey Jeroen,

Yeah, those are the waves I have dreamed of. Beautiful shots thanks for posting them. If you would like you can also post them in the "show us what you got" forum which is for people's pics and footy:
viewforum.php?f=16

If you want to post questions or information on surfboards please post it in the Surf forum here:
viewforum.php?f=7

Keep us update on your progress this season. I also like Waggy's idea about the finned skimboard, yeah, I don't like fins, but I would rather you are also getting to ride a skimmy with fins than not! 8)
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Welcome